[gis_info] 2012 NWGIS Call for Presentations

Butterfield,Bart bart.butterfield at idfg.idaho.gov
Fri Jan 13 16:30:34 PST 2012

The Northwest GIS Users' Group is pleased to announce that we are co-hosting our conference with URISA
Join us in Portland for our 27th Conference and URISA's 50th Anniversary Conference!
GIS-Pro 2012
It will be a golden opportunity  to share, celebrate, and learn.

This is your conference; it is jointly happening with GIS-Pro 2012 and offers you an incredible opportunity for learning and networking that doesn't happen often in the Northwest. Don't pass on this opportunity to experience a local/national conference. All abstracts and registrations will be handled by URISA, but rest assured, this is a Northwest Conference as well and we are working hard for you.
URISA is now accepting abstracts for GIS-Pro 2012: URISA's 50th Annual Conference for GIS Professionals.
Submissions are due on or before February 17, 2012
Start writing your abstract now! Click here<http://www.urisa.org/gispro2012_call> for more info: You ARE a member of the NW GIS Users' Group if you receive this email. Please remember that when filling out the abstract submittal form.
The educational program (one and two-day workshops) is developed through a review of submissions received through the Call for Presentations.
The committee welcomes the submission of individual papers, complete sessions, luncheon presentations, panels, and lightning talks and has proposed a list of suggested topics  for consideration (note that all abstracts received will be reviewed and considered for the conference program regardless of the list below):

  *   Reflections on the Past 50 years of URISA
  *   Reflections on what it is to be a NW GIS member
  *   GIS Return on Investment (ROI)
  *   Addressing
  *   Server Technology/Cloud Computing
  *   Transportation & Transit (planning/mapping/management)
  *   Geospatial Future
  *   Open Sourcery
  *   Maps in the Cloud
  *   "New" Uses for GIS
  *   GIS in the Social Sciences
  *   Leveraging the Tablet Explosion
  *   Data storage: cloud or in-house; new methods for compression; data de-duplication
  *   Education: how to cope with reduction in budgets and still keep your people on top of the fast-paced changes
  *   Map communication: how to not make the "normal" mistakes
  *   GIS in the First Nations / Tribal Agencies
  *   Base map updating/maintenance
  *   Business process reengineering
  *   GISP Certification
  *   Esri ArcGIS Certification
  *   Mobile Applications
  *   Come up with you own idea!
Abstract submissions will be accepted until Friday, February 17, 2012 . Abstract submissions should include a presentation title and descriptive abstract text not to exceed 250 words. Click here<http://www.urisa.org/gispro2012_call> for more info.
NW GIS User Group contacts for the upcoming conference:
Bruce Kessler, Kessler GIS bruce at kesslergis.com<mailto:bruce at kesslergis.com>
Nathalie Smith, ESRI nsmith at esri.com<mailto:nsmith at esri.com>
Paul Ferro, geotrek_ at hotmail.com<mailto:geotrek_ at hotmail.com>