[gis_info] Need for GIS training and Vendors on list serve

Rob McDougald RobMcDougald at GeoMeridian.com
Wed May 16 09:42:15 PDT 2012

My two cents.  I've worked the last 19 years (oh my I'm getting old!) in
this industry with my time equally split between private vendors and local
government. I currently work in local government.

I would be disappointed to see GIS training or conferences banned from this
list.  We all need to learn new tools, alternative methods, processes, and
best practices from other industries.  We also need to leverage group
trainings (and/or conferences) when possible to keep the cost down.  Being
able to leverage alternative trains or collaborate about training is key
function of this list.

I also believe that it is a mistake to ban solutions, products, or vendors
from this list just because they might be "advertising".  We need to learn
new things.  We desperately need to innovate.  These providers are a rich
source of new ideas and innovation.  Not listening to these channels
is equivalent to operating in a vacuum.  Local government and many of my
past private clients are in crisis and in need of innovation, better tools,
processes, and business practices.

Cutting off our exposure to better training, the best practices of other
industries or vendor solutions is not going to move our organizations,
government, or our industry forward.   Now is not the time to do some kind
of list server book burning or digital witch hunt.

Please don't screw up this list serve.
Thanks
Rob

--