[gis_info] Special Classes for Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and advanced ArcGIS Users

Babinski, Greg Greg.Babinski at kingcounty.gov
Thu Jan 25 08:57:45 PST 2018

Are these skills in your tool box? If not, register today!

Three great training opportunities are coming to King County GIS in April for data scientists, business data analysts, and GIS users hoping to further leverage their data.

King County GIS Center training partner GeoSpatial Training Services<http://www.geospatialtraining.com/>  of San Antonio, Texas provides GIS programming and other specialized training in the King County GIS Seattle training facility. They are offering three new classes for data scientists and advanced ArcGIS Users in April.

Today, data science is an indispensable tool for any organization, allowing for the analysis and optimization of decisions and strategy.  Python (along with R) has become the preferred software for data science, thanks to its open source nature, simplicity, applicability to data analysis, and the abundance of libraries for any type of algorithm.

>From government and universities to new start-ups and big tech like Google or Microsoft, the use of Python and R for big data and data science has become standard tools. Are these skills in your tool box? If not, register today!
new start-ups and big tech like Google or Microsoft, the use of Python and R for big data and data science has become a standard tool.

April 23-24

GeoSpatial Training Services<http://www.geospatialtraining.com/>: Python for Data Science I: Python Programming and Efficient Data Management<http://geospatialtraining.com/python-for-data-science-i-python-programming-and-efficient-data-management/> (external links)

Python is a simple and very versatile language (numerical analysis, web development, data analysis, etc.). This module introduces programming in Python, focusing on data analysis and the most efficient libraries for data science including Pandas.

The course methodology is designed under the "learning by doing" maxima. The student will learn the language and applications through examples and practice.  No prior programming skills are required.

April 25-26
(26th is 1/2 day)

GeoSpatial Training Services<http://www.geospatialtraining.com/>: R for Data Science I: R Programming and Efficient Data Management<http://geospatialtraining.com/r-for-data-science-i-r-programming-and-efficient-data-management/> (external links)

R is a simple and powerful language, but, it can be slow and inefficient if not used properly. This class introduces you to the foundations of R programming, but also focuses on the efficiency of data processing.

This course will allow the student to learn, in detail, the fundamentals of the R language and additionally master some of the most efficient libraries for data analysis including dplyr and data.table.  The course methodology is designed under the "learning by doing" maxima. The student will learn the language and applications through examples and practice.  No prior programming skills are required.

April 26-27
 (26th is 1/2 day)

GeoSpatial Training Services<http://www.geospatialtraining.com/>: Introduction to Spatial Statistics with ArcGIS Desktop and R<http://geospatialtraining.com/introduction-to-spatial-statistics-with-arcgis-desktop-and-r/> (external links)

In this day and a half class you'll learn how to perform spatial statistical analysis using ArcGIS Desktop and R.  In the first half of the course we'll explore the spatial statistics tools found in ArcGIS Desktop including how to measure geographic distributions and map clusters.  Using ArcGIS Desktop geographic distribution tools you'll learn how to calculate the central feature, determine directional distribution, linear directional mean, mean and median center, and standard distance.  Cluster analysis will include generating hot spots, cluster and outlier analysis, grouping analysis, and similarity search.  In the second half of the course you'll learn how to connect R to ArcGIS Desktop to create custom R spatial tools that integrate additional spatial statistical analysis including autocorrelation and auto regression.

[cid:image002.png at 01D395BA.8FFD1560]

For everything you want to know about king County GIS training and our training partners, see: www.kingcounty.gov/gis/training<http://www.kingcounty.gov/gis/training>.

greg babinski,MA, GISP
206-477-4402