[Health_Education_Promotion] Latest News to Share

Loralee J TROCIO loralee.j.trocio at state.or.us
Fri Apr 23 16:23:20 PDT 2010

News for April 23, 2010

The Vaccine War
AmeriCorps
Motivational Interviewing - Application for 2010 MINT Training for New
Trainers
County Health Rankings - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
APHA Health Fellowship in Government
Using Social Media to Advance your Online Training Program
8TH UCLA Conference on Public Health and Disasters
Unnatural Causes
Federal Career Internship Program
APHA 138th Annual Meeting Opening General Session Speakers

The Vaccine War
The show airs locally on OPB next Tuesday, 4/27, at 10:00pm.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=proglist&utm_source=proglist

Vaccines have changed the world, largely eradicating a series of
terrible diseases, from smallpox to polio to diphtheria, and likely
adding decades to most of our life spans. But despite the gains-and
numerous scientific studies indicating vaccine safety-a growing movement
of parents remains fearful of vaccines. And in some American
communities, significant numbers of parents have been rejecting vaccines
altogether, raising new concerns about the return of vaccine-preventable
diseases like measles and whooping cough.

In The Vaccine War, airing Tuesday, April 27, 2010, at 9 P.M. ET on PBS
(check local listings), FRONTLINE lays bare the science of vaccine
safety and examines the increasingly bitter debate between the public
health establishment and a formidable populist coalition of parents,
celebrities, politicians and activists who are armed with the latest
social media tools, including Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, and are
determined to resist pressure from the medical and public health
establishments to vaccinate, despite established scientific consensus
about vaccine safety.
AmeriCorps Hope - see attachment for more info
AmeriCorps HOPE is inviting Applications from potential HOST SITES who
are interested in hosting full-time AmeriCorps Members for the grant
term from Sept. 1, 2010 * July 31, 2011.
If you know of other entities who might be interested in hosting an
AmeriCorps HOPE Member, please help us spread the word by forwarding
this announcement to them quickly. If you have questions about the
completing forms or anything in the application documents, we will be
available to provide technical assistance through May 10.

Tina McCollum, Program Manager
OR DHS AmeriCorps HOPE
500 Summer St. NE,  E48
Salem, OR   97301
Phone:   (503) 945-6906
tina.mccollum at state.or.us
Fax:     (503) 373-7032

Motivational Interviewing - Application for 2010 MINT Training for New
Trainers (TNT)
On behalf of the Board of MINT Incorporated, we are pleased to inform
you of the opening of our applications process for the 2010 MINT
Incorporated Training of New Trainers (TNT) Program, which will be held
in San Diego, California this October 4th 5th and 6th. Complete
application instructions are found by following the link below:
www.motivationalinterview.org. Once you have established your login,
you can complete your application online, or logout and return again as
needed until your application is complete. Initial processing of your
application by our MINT member volunteer staff will take some time, and
our TNT staff will e-mail you to update you on the progress of your
application. Your interest in MINT and TNT training is greatly
appreciated. If you require any further assistance to prepare or
complete a 2010 TNT application, please email us at
mint.tnt.applicant at gmail.com

County Health Rankings - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Check out this cool program: www.countyhealthrankings.org

APHA Health Fellowship in Government - exciting opportunity filled by
an Oregonian last year!
On behalf of the American Public Health Association (APHA), it is my
pleasure to announce the call for applications for the 2011 APHA Public
Health Fellowship in Government (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=D01XZlB9ZO9PUAjVeUIINw.. ).   This is
fourth year that APHA is offering this fellowship which ha
s been
described as an *amazing* and *phenomenal* experience by previous
fellows. Candidates must have strong public health credentials and be
interested in spending one year in Washington, D.C. working in a
congressional office on legislative and policy issues related to health,
the environment or other public health concerns.  The fellowship will
begin in January 2011 and continue through December 2011. The fellowship
provides a unique learning experience and demonstrates the value and
need for basing policy on sound science.  Throughout the year, the
fellow will gain a practical knowledge of government and how the public
policy process works.
Applications and additional information are available at
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=TVYO2N0PKvczbxiCZ1wCPA...  The
application, including a CV and three letters of recommendation, are due
to APHA by May 17, 2010.
Please forward this email to anyone who you believe may be eligible and
interested. For more information, please feel free to contact me at
susan.polan at apha.org  or (202)777-2510.

Using Social Media to Advance Your Online Training Program
 FYI for trainers and staff who are using online training, this is an
interesting guide about integrating social media with online training
(from the folks who developed GoToWebinar). See attachment.

8TH UCLA Conference on Public Health and Disasters
For several years we have been preparing for mass population
emergencies, but in the last 12 months alone all of our plans have been
challenged simultaneously.   In addition to the nation's recurring
flood, storm and wildfire hazards, we have endured two devastating
earthquakes in the western hemisphere and a global influenza pandemic.
Our impacted health systems and disaster response capacities have been
stressed as never before.  But even as our preparedness needs increase,
we are challenged to sustain and continually improve these activities
while faced with ongoing funding challenges.

Join your colleagues from public health, local and national government,
hospital preparedness, EMS, emergency management and public safety as we
convene the 8th UCLA National Conference on Public Health and Disasters
from May 17-19 in Los Angeles.  We have maintained our Early
Registration fee at $395: the same level as our preceding three years.
Registration includes three days of practical sessions by world-class
presenters, continuing education, conference materials, meals, and our
ever popular "Dinner and a Disaster Movie" presentation.

The Conference relates to all Areas of Responsibility for Health
Educators and is designated for the CHES to receive up to 14 Category I
CECH in Health Education.

This event is sponsored by the Pacific Public Health Training Center, a
designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in
health education by the National Commission for Health Education
Credentialing, Inc.  PPHTC Provider # CA1162; NCHEC Provider Number:
MEP2364

To view the Conference Agenda or to register, please visit
www.cphd.ucla.edu <http://www.cphd.ucla.edu/>

Unnatural Causes
Health Equity Dialogue: Participate in an interactive forum on health
disparities following a screening of the Unnatural Causes video series,
share perspectives on social justice issues and the determinants of
health and well being
Friday, April 30th 12:00 - 1:30
827 NE Oregon Street, Portland
Second floor conference room 827A
PortlandLloyd Centerarea
Sponsored by the Oregon Public Health Division in collaboration with
the Multnomah County Health Department Health Equity Initiative

 RSVP with Jason.d.feldman at state.or.us

Federal Career Internship Program
The Federal Career Internship Program (FCIP) is a 2-year entry-level,
full-time employment and career development training program in the
excepted service, designed to prepare individuals for a career in public
service. Upon successful completion of the program, FCIP participants
may receive a permanent, full-time position with HRSA.  Complete
infor
mation is available,
http://www.hrsa.gov/about/jobs/careerinternship.html
Apply by May 3 for Public Health Analyst and Management Analyst Federal
Career Internships.
HRSA has multiple vacancies in its Rockville, Maryland headquarters for
Federal Career Internship Program public health analysts and management
analysts.
Grade:    GS 685-9 (Promotion Potential to GS 12)
Salary:    $51,630 - $67,114E-mail your resume to
HRSAFCIPAPP2 at HRSA.GOVwith the subject line FCIP-HRSA-OA-2010-05
Public Health Analyst or FCIP-HRSA-OA-2010-06 Management Analyst. The
e-mail must be received by 11:59 pm ET on May 3. Mail your
application(must be received by May 3) to
DHHS/HRSA
Room 14A-20
(Attention: FCIP-HRSA-OA-2010-05 Public Health Analyst) or (Attention:
FCIP-HRSA-OA-2010-06 Management Analyst)
Rockville, MD 20857
Send questions to: HRSAFCIPQuestions at hrsa.gov

APHA 138th Annual Meeting Opening General Session Speakers

Annual Meeting Highlights
Theme - "Social Justice: A public health imperative"

Registration and Housing (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=B9qoerS5dGTLug7HGotaPw.. ) open June
1. Complete your online meeting registration and one click will take you
to the pre-populated hotel reservation page.

APHA Learning Institutes (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=koY6tYk2glrY3fG57Rl8Bw.. )- Full and
half-day educational programs designed to provide an in-depth learning
experience in the latest public health trends and topics.

Continuing Education Credits (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=WwtoWTMx9yrUhfcGNMpOrw.. )- Earn
credit for attending the APHA Annual Meeting, details available after
June 1

Public Health Expo (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=dAP7T6LVvmxsiO2PDyCkEw.. )- Discover
700 booths with the latest products and services. Access poster
sessions, the Electronic
Information Center, visit Everything APHA, and the Exhibitor Theater
for in-depth information.

E-ssentialLearning (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=gfoYQZVIQyINWLIAxbdXUw.. )- Online
scientific session presentation recordings. Access the 2005-2008
E-ssentialLearning for free to learn more about the product.

Mix and Mingle Lounge (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=9cbtXzDRnTFULpXwGk4pIw.. )- The
perfect place to meet up with friends and colleagues, check e-mail or
grab a snack in a comfortable and calming environment with free wireless
internet.

Everything APHA (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=xlv4zTYlM7-IQfkUbrfPKA.. )- Located
in the center of the Public Health Expo is your complete source for APHA
information, publications, Public Health CareerMart, Career Coaching and
more.

Public Health Awards & Reception - Join your colelageus at the Public
Health Awards Reception and Ceremony to recognize the recipients of
APHA's most distinguished awards.

Annual Meeting Social Media
 ( http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=WAKoU7KsVIlFuKeLz64PPA.. )     (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=BB6BGfYMOVOWPstwOaicGw.. )

APHA 138th Annual Meeting Opening General Session Speakers and Sunday
Evening Entertainment Announced
Opening General Session:
Sunday, November 7 - 12:00pm-2:00pmDr. Cornel West is an American
philosopher, author and civil rights activist. He currently teaches in
the Center for African American Studies and in the department of
Religion at Princeton University. He is known for his combination of
political and moral insight and criticism, and his contribution to the
post-1960s civil rights movement. The bulk of his work focuses upon the
role of race, gender, and class in American society and the means by
which people act and react to their *radical conditionedness."
West is a graduate of Harvard University. He earned a Ph.D. from
Princeton and returned to Harvard as a Du Bois Fellow. He continued his
career at Union Theological Seminary in New York and after that Yale
Divinity School.
Dr. West became a professor of religion and director of the Program in
African American Studies at Princeton In 1994 he accepted an appointment
as professor of African-American
studies at Harvard University with a
joint appointment at the Harvard Divinity School.  In 2001, after a much
publicized argument with Harvard president Lawrence Summers, West
returned to Princeton, where he has taught since. He has written several
books that analyze issues of race, class, and social justice.
For a full biography of Dr. Cornel West visit ourwebsite (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=IcPFiz9TPMAq4S4EsUsxug.. ).

 Dr. Bill Jenkins has devoted himself unceasingly to the twin causes of
eliminating racial/ethnic health disparities and racial/ethnic
minorities career opportunities in biostatistics and epidemiology.
Dr. Jenkins did his undergraduate work in Mathematics at Morehouse
College in Atlanta. After earning a masters degree in biostatistics from
Georgetown University, Dr. Jenkins earned his M.P.H. and Ph.D. degrees
in Epidemiology at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.  He
has also completed post-doctoral work in Biostatistics at Harvard
University School of Public Health.
Dr. Jenkins has held leadership positions in the American Public Health
Association, the American College of Epidemiology, and the American
Statistical Association.
For a full biography of Dr. Bill Jenkins visit our website (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=2oOyJfJLtV8JO27g-mk1dw.. ) (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=VntgPkTyIQIaD4y6yazeTA.. ).
Live in Concert!
Aaron Neville and his Quintet Featuring Charles Neville
Sunday, November 7 - 6:30pm
Aaron Neville (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=hNIYYLvsrsKKvHxbQ7UtxA.. ) has had
a long and distinguished career. Aaron is one of the four famous Neville
Brothers of New Orleans, a product of that city's richly complex musical
culture. Brother Charles, is a tenor and sax player and a founding
member of the Neville Brothers and the musical director of The Aaron
Neville Quintet.
Aaron broke onto the national scene with "Tell It Like It Is (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=9MFvrraM-d9mADZSp2sKQw.. ), the
plaintive ballad that went #1 on the pop charts. Aaron and brothers
Charles and Cyril played as The Wild Tchoupitoulas in New York before
returning to New Orleans to record the landmark album of the same name.
The Neville Brothers (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=vSfn51d9sOiyFPUlSeRseg.. ) produced a
string of successful albums including the hit Yellow Moon (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=JpUwVdX5o1VvcmSgDNt1Aw.. ) written
and sung by Aaron, whose solo career was revived with Warm Your Heart,
the acclaimed album produced by George Massenburg and Linda Ronstadt. It
was Ronstadt who featured Aaron on her Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like
the Wind, album resulting in such pop hit duets as "Don't Know Much (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=cHhEtjoW-bfTrJgdX3SSig.. )" and When
Something Is Wrong With My Baby (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=mqRMQjYh-zya5sVw3NrIFg.. )."
Aaron has won four Grammys: for Best Pop Duo with Linda Ronstadt for
"Don't Know Much (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=RSJxdQkTQOTIGslw7gbc1Q.. )"; for Best
Pop Instrumental Performance with the Neville Brothers for "Healing
Chant"; for Best Pop Duo with Linda Ronstadt for "All My Life (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=4HKwScojKqjAlcDTRUf05A.. )"; and for
Best Country Collaboration with Vocals with Trisha Yearwood for "I Fall
to Pieces ( http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=xN17sgLVE6NEXy9lI8GVeQ..
)".
Nature Boy, Aaron's most recent CD is a unique and deeply satisfying
suite of standards that connect to your soul and are sung with
remarkable sensitivity.  He reinvents the Great American Songbook with a
sure, soft touch using his voice as a jazz instrument.
For a full biography of Neville plus links to songs visit our website (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=8retOYqoNSG8p0LQXhe0hA.. ).
APHA 138th Annual Meeting and Exposition
November 6-10, 2010 - Denver, Colorado
For more information go to www.apha.org/meetings (
http://action.apha.org/site/R?i=vQn90DB0YNiFFfGDUd76Fw.. ).

Loralee Trocio, MPH, CHES