[HealthyTribes] Fwd: [CtyTobProMgrs] Tobacco-free DHS/OHA assessment follow up

Kati MOSELEY kati.moseley at state.or.us
Tue Sep 6 09:07:57 PDT 2011

Hi,
I thought that you all might be interested in this as well.

Best,
Kati

>>> "Rebecca L PAWLAK" <rebecca.l.pawlak at state.or.us> 9/1/2011 11:57 AM >>>

Tobacco Prevention and Education Program grantees:

In May of 2008, the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) implemented its Tobacco-free Campus policy. This policy prohibits tobacco use of any kind in or on DHS property, requiring Tobacco-free Campus signs at all pedestrian and vehicle entrances.

State Tobacco Prevention and Education Program (TPEP) staff members are currently working to bring all remaining DHS facilities into compliance with the Tobacco-free Campus policy. Last January, the Tobacco Control Integration Project (TCIP) Coordinators solicited the help from local public health departments to assess the compliance of all DHS facilities across the state. Thank you to all County Coordinators and staff who assisted in completing the assessments. Your work has given us a full picture of how the policy is being implemented statewide.

As expected, there was a wide range of compliance among facilities. We defined a 'tobacco-free' campus as meeting the following three requirements:
-          Tobacco-free DHS Campus signs on the property
-          No ashtrays on the property
-          No smoking shelters on the property

Results:
-          100% (166) of operating DHS facilities were assessed
-          47% (78) met the requirements for being a Tobacco-free DHS campus
-          88 facilities were not in compliance for the following reasons:
o   Ashtrays present - 32
o   Ashtrays present & lack of DHS signage - 26
o   Lack of DHS signage - 22
o   Ashtrays & shelter present - 8

These results have been very helpful in moving forward with Tobacco-free DHS. Thanks again to those who assessed facilities. Please contact me if you would like more information regarding the results of the assessment. If through your work a facility comes into compliance, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Rebecca Pawlak, MPH
Tobacco Control Integration Project(TCIP) Coordinator
rebecca.l.pawlak at state.or.us
phone:  971-673-1034
fax: 971-673-0994

Oregon Health Authority