[HealthyTribes] new smokefree texting service

Sarah E BARTELMANN sarah.e.bartelmann at state.or.us
Wed Sep 21 09:59:11 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Quick update about a great new national cessation resource available from the U.S. Department of Human Services and the National Institutes of Health:

The SmokeFreeTXT program, available at http://smokefree.gov/smokefreetext/, is a mobile smoking cessation service designed for teens and adults.  This program is free and available to anyone (over the age of 13) in the United States.  These text messages offer tips, motivation, encouragement and facts based on information tailored to the user's response. The program is designed to provide support in the month before a designated quit date and then for 6 weeks following the quit date.  Learn more at http://smokefree.gov/smokefreetxt/FAQs.aspx.

NOTE:  This is a national service and NOT part of the Oregon Tobacco Quit Line.

We will also be launching an integrated text messaging service as part of our telephone and online counseling program in early 2012, but that service will be limited to those who have enrolled in the Quit Line program.  More information on the Oregon Tobacco Quit Line texting service will be available soon.

Sarah

Sarah Bartelmann, MPH
Cessation Coordinator

sarah.e.bartelmann at state.or.us