[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2011-06-24
heritage.info at state.or.us
Fri Jun 24 07:31:14 PDT 2011
In This Issue:
1. OPRD seeks Heritage Outreach Specialist
2. National Register of Historic Places Lists Two Oregon Properties
3. New Publications Available
OPRD SEEKS HERITAGE OUTREACH SPECIALIST
The Heritage Programs Division of Oregon Parks and Recreation
Department (OPRD) is seeking to fill a Heritage Outreach Specialist
position. This permanent, full-time position is part of the "Heritage
Outreach" team that assists local history and heritage organizations
throughout the state. Duties include assisting with the annual Heritage
Conference, conducting training and public education activities,
providing technical assistance to grant recipients, and providing
support to one or more of our affiliated commissions/boards (Heritage
Commission, Commission on Historic Cemeteries, etc.).
The following web page provides further details about the position and
links to the online application form: www.oregonstateparks.org .
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES LISTS TWO OREGON PROPERTIES
SHPO recently announced two new listings on the National Register of
Springfield Motors Buick Dealership of Springfield received a listing
for its well-preserved example of Streamline Moderne commercial
architecture and its association with the development of transportation
during the post-World War II period. Designed using pattern books
published by Buick and General Motors during the late 1940s and built by
Gustave J. DeVos in 1949 using local materials and labor to help improve
the economy in the area, the white stucco building has a curved corner
with large glass windows and an original neon sign with the business
name. It was the first new automobile franchise built in Springfield
during the postwar era. Clarence L. Scherer originally leased the
building for the dealership and the Scherer family continues operating
as a Buick dealership in the building today.
Lew Williams Chevrolet Dealership of Eugene received a listing as an
important local example of post-World War II modern era commercial
architecture and for its association with the changing infrastructure in
Eugene during this period. Attached to a former Coca-Cola bottling plant
and designed in 1959 by local architecture firm Balzhiser, Seder, and
Rhodes, the dealership’s display pavilion embodies the futuristic
aspects of mid-century commercial architecture with its oval shape,
glass walls, and the ultramodern, aerodynamic nature of its roof line.
Strategically placed along Franklin Boulevard, the dealership opened in
1960, later became the Joe Romania Chevrolet Dealership in 1969, and
remained in the Romania family until University of Oregon purchased the
property in 2005.
The buildings join 130 other historic places in Lane County listed in
the National Register, maintained by the National Park Service under the
authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. Find more
information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings at
www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of
NEW PUBLICATIONS AVAILABLE
“House Paints, 1900 - 1960”: The versatility of modern commercial
house paints has ensured their use in a broad range of applications,
including the protection and decoration of historic buildings. “House
Paints, 1900 - 1960”, written by conservator Harriet A. L. Standeven,
traces the history of the household paint industry in the United States
and United Kingdom. The 160-page book includes chapters on the
development of paints, resins and lacquers and the conservation
implications of these materials. Available from Getty Publications
under the imprint of the Getty Conservation Institute, conservators,
curators, art and architectural historians will find this book of
interest. Visit http://shop.getty.edu/product885.html to learn more.
“Fundraising for Small Museums in Good Times and Bad “: Designed
specifically for people running small museums, historic houses, and
historic sites who wear many hats: curator, researcher, building
manager, accountant, and fundraiser, “Fundraising for Small Museums in
Good Times and Bad” by Salvatore G. Cilella, Jr., guides
administrators through securing funding for programs and institutions.
For more information, visit http://www.altamirapress.com .
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission.
Contact us by emailing heritage.info at state.or.us .
More information about the Heritage