[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2019-03-15

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Mar 15 15:23:52 PDT 2019

Oregon Heritage News 2019-03-15

In this issue:

- 5 reasons to attend the 2019 Oregon Heritage Summit
- NPS seeks comments on new regulations for National Register of Historic Places
- SAHMDR call for papers deadline extended
- Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs public meeting March 20
- Check out Oregon State Archives new exhibit: Booze, Bars, and the Boot: Faces of Prohibition 1920-1933

*********************************
5 reasons to attend the 2019 Oregon Heritage Summit

1)   Get inspired! Building a strong board is an ongoing process, and whether you're staff or a board member, experienced with boards or new to board leadership, there's always something to be learned. The Summit is a chance to gain fresh energy around the theory and practice of great boards.

2)   Take home practical ideas! The agenda will weaver together learning about best practices and applying those ideas to your group's needs. Participants are encouraged to bring their organizations' existing board materials so they can immediately match ideas to reality.

3)   Network with others who share a passion for heritage! The Summit brings together people from a variety of heritage disciplines and nonprofit resource groups. You will also have the chance to attend research presentations by the Oregon Heritage Fellows and enjoy the Heritage Excellence Awards.

4)   Drawings for free resources! Participants will be entered to win free non-profit board materials throughout the event. You could take home highly useful nonprofit handbooks...or maybe a registration to the 2020 Heritage Conference!

5)   Scholarships are still available! There are still limited funds available to help organizations off-set the cost of sending multiple participants, one of whom is a board member, to the Summit. Learn more here: https://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/OHC/pages/conference.aspx

If you plan on attending, be sure to register<https://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/HCD/OHC/pages/conference.aspx> before the early bird deadline ends April 4 and book your hotels to get the conference rate.

*********************************
NPS seeks comments on new regulations for National Register of Historic Places

The proposed changes would implement the 2016 Amendments to the National Historic Preservation Act, extend the timeline for the Keeper to respond to appeals, and ensure that if the owners of a majority of the land area in a proposed historic district object to listing, the proposed district will not be listed over their objection. https://bit.ly/2XRVWoK<https://aaslh.site-ym.com/link.asp?e=ka.harrison12@gmail.com&job=3687127&ymlink=338581809&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fbit%2Ely%2F2XRVWoK>

*********************************
SAHMDR call for papers deadline extended

The Marion Dean Ross (PNW) chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians has extended the deadline for our Call for Papers for our upcoming conference on June 21-23, 2019 to Monday March 25, 2019. Please consider submitting an abstract. This is a great opportunity for students, young professionals, and seasoned professionals to present your research and favorite projects to your peers, as well as participate in the conference tours, lectures, and other festivities. Please remember that we also have travel grants available for students (who also enjoy free membership) and young professionals, as well as research grants for mature professionals. The due date for grants is April 22, 2019. See our website at www.sahmdr.org<http://www.sahmdr.org> for application information. Note that an abstract must be accepted for presentation in 2019 in order to receive a travel grant.

We have received questions as to what our theme for this year - "Extraction and Recreation: Sensitive Redevelopment or Faustian Bargains?" - means. We are interested in papers about sites and places that were traditionally used for resource extraction, such as timber harvesting and mining, and that are now tourist destinations. Think Virginia City, for example, or Aspen. Or Kellogg, Idaho! This brings to mind questions of authenticity in preservation, interpretation, and appropriate re-use.  Conversely, once a place re-makes itself into a recreation destination, for example, what happens if it then falls out of favor? Or proves to be unsustainable, on an environmental or economic level? Or the place becomes too popular, threatening the very qualities that attract people to it in the first place? Please note that as usual, we also welcome proposals an any aspect of the built environment from any time period or place.
Please consider this opportunity to present your research at the conference. The membership consistently has interesting comments and questions for all presenters, which can make this a valuable professional experience. We are in active conference planning mode and will be in touch about the program soon. Also note that we are still seeking nominations for our Executive Board. Here's your opportunity to serve the profession and interact with a great group of colleagues! If you are interested in nominating yourself or others to an Executive Board position, please contact Diana Painter at dianajpainter at gmail.com<mailto:dianajpainter at gmail.com>.

*********************************
Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs public meeting March 20

Oregon Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs (OCAPIA)
Regular Meeting
Wednesday, March 20th, 2019
9:30 AM - 12:00 PM

The meeting will cover elections for OCAPIA Chair and Vice Chair, Commissioners' reports, and other subjects of interest to the Commission.

Public may attend the meeting at:Oregon State Bar, Sandy Room, 16037 SW Upper Boone's Ferry Road, Tigard, OR 97224

The meeting location is accessible to persons with disabilities. Requests for accommodations for people with disabilities should be made at least 48 hours in advance. Please contact Nancy Kramer about this or any other questions at (503) 302-9725 or contact nancy.kramer at oregon.gov<mailto:nancy.kramer at oregon.gov>.

Check out Oregon State Archives new exhibit: Booze, Bars, and the Boot: Faces of Prohibition 1920-1933

This week the Oregon State Archives opened their newest exhibit Booze, Bars, and the Boot: Faces of Prohibition 1920-1933. This exhibit features stories of inmates who were incarcerated in the Oregon State Penitentiary due to different alcohol related violations under the Volstead Act. Almost 400 men and women ranging from teenagers to senior citizens, were imprisoned between 1920 and 1933. Tales highlighted in this exhibit include accounts of rumrunners, jailbreaks, robberies, and murder. Some narratives relay tales of woe and others are so absurd they are almost unbelievable.

Also on display is the sinister Oregon Boot. On loan from the Oregon Historical Society, the Oregon Boot was invented by J.C. Gardner, a warden of the Oregon State Penitentiary. The invention was an attempt to reduce the amount of escapes. Attached to the ankle, the device was designed to keep the prisoner off balance. Each shackle weighed up to 28 pounds. Other 3-D objects include Prohibition era liquor bottles and repeal Prohibition memorabilia. The exhibit is free and open to the public weekdays from 8am to 4:45pm. The Oregon State Archives is located at 800 Summer Street NE in Salem.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.