[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2020-05-19

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Tue May 19 12:04:47 PDT 2020

Oregon Heritage News 2020-05-19

In this issue:

  *   Important Oregon Heritage News Listserv  announcement!
  *   Incentives for historic property preservation survey
  *   Restore Oregon preservation related events and awards announcement
  *   NAO resources and upcoming webinars
  *   Oregon Humanities hosts "Connect In Place" virtual series of conversations
  *   Some resources regarding event guidance and information
  *   Remote project ideas featured on AAM's blog
  *   NEDCC preservation training opportunities and new preservation leaflets
  *   Special Message from National Trust for Historic Preservation: A New Era of Justice

*Be sure to visit the Oregon Heritage COVID-19 Resources<https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/OH/Pages/COVID-19-Resources.aspx> page to find upcoming webinars and resources, especially related to reopening and recovery.

***********************
Important Oregon Heritage News Listserv  announcement!

To address an urgent security issue affecting the Oregon Mailing List Service, we must use a new address in the "To" field of all new listserv email, effective 6 p.m., Wednesday, May 20. Our new address will be:

              heritage at omls.oregon.gov<mailto:heritage at omls.oregon.gov>

In addition to using our new address in new email threads, we also can respond to email threads originated before 6 p.m., May 20, by inserting our new list address in the To field.

Users who send to the old domain (after 6 p.m., May 20) will get an "undeliverable" reply.

Once this change takes effect, I encourage you to delete the old address from your email client's auto-fill feature, and file the new address in your Contacts. Thank you.

***********************
Incentives for historic property preservation survey

If you own a property listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) wants to hear from YOU!  We are brainstorming ways to assist owners with the preservation of their properties, and we want to better understand what you need for your property and what you need from the state. Ideas under consideration include grants, low-interest loans, and tax incentives.  If you own a listed property, please take our survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SHPOsurvey> to let us know how you take care of your National Register property now, and which resources you would use if they were available. The survey only takes 3-5 minutes and will be open until June 15.

***********************
Restore Oregon preservation awards open for applications

Apply Today for the 2020 DeMuro Awards!

The DeMuro Award<https://restoreoregon.org/demuro-awards/> is one of Oregon's highest prizes for historic preservation, honoring the best in restoration and reuse of our historic places. It celebrates historic rehabilitation and compatible infill projects that demonstrate how historic preservation can create affordable housing, incubate new businesses, and combat climate change through reusing existing resources.

Past recipients range from a historic theater in Corvallis to a 1912 firehouse in the heart of NW Portland, a Pioneer-Era home in Forest Grove to a former auto dealership in Medford. They included transformations of a saloon into affordable housing, a former U.S Customs House into adaptive office space, and a roller rink into light manufacturing.

Awards are presented at Restore Oregon's Restoration Celebration on October 2nd and are published in our FieldNotes magazine and on our website.

Learn more and apply online at restoreoregon.org<https://restoreoregon.org/demuro-awards/2020-demuro-award-nomination-application/>

Application deadline is June 12th!

***********************
NAO resources and upcoming webinars
* taken from NAO's COVID-19 Update e-news dated 5/18/20

Governor Brown has slowly loosened the stay-at-home order and many counties in Oregon entered Phase I this past Friday. With these loosened restrictions, more of us are venturing out (carefully!) to test the possibilities of bringing our staff and volunteers back to work on site. As you consider your options, please make use of the curated materials we have put together on how to protect your team, program participants and workplaces. You can find those materials here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP_1BXAzOg7OnQSSPcxO4-ozCL0Fd0xvoqo0x2ZRQZSjSYVY-XuA6X7RXRIvBKeQ-SNfVNto9fa_ya-5zpZ77RYwa3Lczj57C2xcURwWqwJIk3_6wXrG8dVxyUbiSWxOYzlDPtgpLoqFw9JQe74BcTsdxlKyh1cOxYQ==&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==>.

Also, be sure to sign up for our session: Ask the Experts - Legal and Practical Realities of Reopening the Workplace on Tuesday, May 26. Register for the session here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP_1BXAzOg7OnzNquwrsunGA9mTddbR2TeDO5kTVPgEiqVVB_72GFj9ShJ-Mc2GR-eaXxXYk5yRw0BqW5yk6iE2mCh0qfYHiSt13ED_3tHfG54Xg-UdqF7ktO9oeGlzqVaHB90oHOfd-Gp-YUxL2Eg3OkHJl6mSrWSzQ7rMQh-kmG&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==>.

Another big conundrum hanging over our heads as we emerge from quarantine is how to realign our nonprofit to this new reality. Many of us are wondering what comes next, as we try to imagine what the future may hold and how to guide our organizations with so many unknowns. Last Thursday, we held the first of a three-part series on Rethinking your Strategy: Planning Recovery for COVID-19 with Steve Patty and Jessamyn Luiz from Dialogues In Action<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP_1BXAzOg7OnEHubBGrCrpbFovpqHkQjhopzjAxDV5TqszSxbuGvCZT89KOlYeC5O61UcZXZS-jAadIN-l9VfpC1iCh4xpPLMP2aa7-hs9CJ&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==>. If you missed the first session, don't fret! You can view the first session: Opportunity of a Crisis recording<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP_1BXAzOg7OnpGRgZl39FE99CVcRQ_iFklzd6m5vrTZ0kgVItv3ICMtmO8Cqh27fNExU-sHCh4bHCecxe1TM5R1IRnY7DnBl7Zq6GUjYY9-dE6HpLr2Hl6GXlDTbky2UL6ep2G61NOt6AAT7lv8Gmg8ismep1q6GWP7S-sfJdk9F4nNH65ZIZa0=&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==> and slides<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP_1BXAzOg7OnG0a67FKs3aop3V2I2N5MHDNCcnkZSA5tdlrftCecSTNri_Uokb65QohRHmc77a6RqlqJB3VAHFMfzzvgFEFJJCRWxWyWqHm86DvTvNosxbuaXfrB3J-eJ7aaOIKccM0JoOKvciFeYxHZO7qd5GYSug==&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==>, as well as register<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yyNvGJL1rXeYmNVVtCy6lKiV5mw7BuSbPU1SfY0rq4jdpZM-LR4uP6X5rDn7x_GbEq2JMnc7MSj2DmjqMDy6ImgqK0JafYybtqsuQtyX0yWawo8GprtdBagpz16tLQvq5DXw7DDe_f4pi-80cHO_gMfl95zOiR14ZET_0wgL0qb6DfmITJ1LTEgtV8q2RLYDHPz6q-sVH0L2XzaQEU5LaZ9ky1v2AliQ&c=U486wiIoj3l5FF5szTs-G-5NFQDcYs5fuX6FFdIuA8LZ1Uuvq3akTg==&ch=JrPUbLNliy7FVFAM8NYC65Q1PurGrv2ycaFUCXpkywUDkHSK5a9bUw==> for the second and third sessions on Thursday, May 21 and Thursday, May 28 respectively. As with all of NAO's COVID-19 programming right now, this three-part series is free for Oregon nonprofits, thanks to the gracious support of foundations and sponsors.

***********************
Oregon Humanities hosts "Connect In Place" virtual series of conversations

Oregon Humanities is hosting a series of weekly virtual conversations and we're calling it "Connect in Place<http://oregonhumanities.org/programs/what-is-cp/connect-in-place/>." Our aim is to create spaces in this physically separated moment for Oregonians to gather, connect, reflect, and talk with one another.

May 26: This Place Now
6:30 to 8:30 p.m. PDT. Click here to RSVP.<https://www.tfaforms.com/4823080> Registration is required.
In this time of COVID-19, physical distancing, and uncertainty, what does Oregon feel like to you, and how would you like it to feel for fellow Oregonians across the state? This virtual community conversation will connect people from all over Oregon to make sense of this moment together, to share what we envision for the future, and to start exploring how we might get there.

Now that Oregon Humanities has convened a number of smaller, regional online conversations about how local communities are responding to current conditions, we hope to provide a gathering space for people from all over the state to do some cross-regional reflection and sharing in small and larger groups. Whether you've attended previous "This Place Now" conversations or not, you are welcome to participate. This conversation will include new people, questions and prompts.

***********************
Some resources regarding event guidance and information

For those that have events, it might be good to take a look at this Reopening Guide recently released by the Event Safety Alliance. "The Reopening Guide addresses health and sanitary issues that event and venue professionals need to consider in order to protect both patrons and workers.  Since there is still insufficient testing, no contact tracing, and no vaccine against COVID-19, this guidance is particularly detailed.  The first edition is tailored to be especially useful for event professionals reopening the smallest events with the fewest resources available to mitigate their risks, since in every municipal reopening plan these will be allowed to reopen first." The Guide is downloadable from the Alliance's website here<https://performingartsreadiness.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7b093c4a1919def871a10e356&id=ad568f14aa&e=a5d13dc9db>.

Also of interest related to events is a webinar being presented by the National Main Street Center on The State of the Event Industry, May 20, 10-11am. As the event industry has entered into unchartered territory during these uncertain times, it has become apparent that many events, especially those being run by volunteers and small staff need guidance on what to expect and how to handle issues that are rising from cancelations and postponements due to COVID-19. This 60 min webinar will provide information and advice from industry experts on how to reopen and operate farmers markets, event sponsorship, ticketing and vendors. Register here<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fus02web.zoom.us%2Fwebinar%2Fregister%2FWN_jqR-XIRYT_C3rYWImTxpnw&sa=D&ust=1590342256860000&usg=AOvVaw16qyUj75zJAmWH-K-EhnBN>.

***********************
Remote project ideas featured on AAM's blog

Now What?: Remote Project Ideas<https://aam-us.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2605bbc11e6752de338ce7e61&id=d1020d6511&e=0645a66f24>
By Cecelia Walls
Weeks or months in to working remotely, you might be finding it hard to think of new tasks you can do without access to your physical site. Try this list of oft-neglected projects you might be overlooking. Read more ><https://aam-us.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2605bbc11e6752de338ce7e61&id=57ae921a54&e=0645a66f24>

***********************
NEDCC preservation training opportunities and new preservation leaflets

On-demand Webinar Recordings available on a wide variety of topics, including: Long-term Preservation of Early Record Books; Writing a Preservation Plan; and the "Caring for" Series such as Caring for Oversized Collections, Photographic Collections, Architectural Records, Digital Media, Scrapbooks, and more.

Upcoming Programs:
- The "Hands-on" Live Webinar on Surface Cleaning Techniques for Paper-based Materials, June 9. (Registration deadline is June 1.) You'll get a supply kit in the mail to use during the webinar. (US only please)
- New! Fundamentals of Photograph Preservation, the 6-Session Live Web Course. May 27-July 1.
- Preservation 101: Preservation Basics for Paper and Media Collections, the 10-Session Live Web Course, Sept 17-Nov 19.

See training calendar here<https://www.nedcc.org/preservation-training/training-currentlist>.

New Preservation Leaflets:

New Preservation Leaflets include: Packing and Shipping Paper Artifacts; Packing and Shipping Audio Media; Types of Photographs, part 2, Color; Types of Photographs, part 3, Digital Output Media; and Disinfecting Books and Other Collections. http://www.nedcc.org/leaflets

***********************
Special Message from National Trust for Historic Preservation: A New Era of Justice
* This message was taken directly from an e-message sent from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, specifically the director of the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund, dated 5/19/20

Preservation is about community.
Now is a time for us to come together as we have so many times before, but with a new sense of urgency and inclusion, and in ways that will last beyond the coronavirus crisis. As important visual and cultural clues, the places we preserve hold promise for the future we seek to reclaim, and each site stands as an historical indicator of our complex present. We need old buildings as much as old buildings need us. They prompt us to remember who we are.

The COVID-19 virus has devastated many across the country, but due to disinvestment and systemic policies, African Americans and communities of color have been disproportionately affected. Our nation is again reminded that this disparity mirrors and reflects historical and racial inequities. We are being reminded to face the truth about our past.

As a movement, preservation has also mirrored traditional social values. Yet, if we lean into hope and take time to self-reflect, we can be the change we seek. We can draw lessons from the past to create a prosperous future, while also reflecting on the promise of preservation as an equity-driven movement. In our individual moments of stillness, we should ask ourselves: Can we confront the economic challenges of COVID-19 and ignite a contemporary preservation movement as a force for positive social change? How can we weave a tapestry of places and stories to tell our full, shared history? Can we challenge ourselves to realize equity-driven outcomes that benefit all Americans? Because when we collaborate, we have the capacity to create a national identity that reflects the country's true diversity.

In the spirit of envisioning a more prosperous and inclusive future, I invite you to join me for a special Virtual Preservation Month<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=476798&clid=10028&ea.campaigner.email=37v2n0LVEqezct0%2Bm0F1N9mrYuqSz%2FQB&ea.campaigner.id=hz5izN%2BuUjiZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> event with Ms. Phylicia Rashad, co-chair of the National Trust's African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=476799&clid=10028&ea.campaigner.email=37v2n0LVEqezct0%2Bm0F1N9mrYuqSz%2FQB&ea.campaigner.id=hz5izN%2BuUjiZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0> on Friday, May 22, at 1:30 p.m. ET. (Register in advance for the webinar<https://us.e-activist.com/ea-action/enclick?ea.url.id=476800&clid=10028&ea.campaigner.email=37v2n0LVEqezct0%2Bm0F1N9mrYuqSz%2FQB&ea.campaigner.id=hz5izN%2BuUjiZkArzVWMSmA==&ea_broadcast_target_id=0>.) In our conversation, we will discuss the power of preservation, the work of the Action Fund, and the historic African American places that inspire all Americans to build a better world.

Our forebearers responded to earlier preservation threats and injustices with dogged leadership, tenacious thinking, and community organizing. From the foundational work of Ann Pamela Cunningham and the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, to the groundbreaking activism of Mary B. Talbert and the National Association of Colored Women, our ancestors ignited our movement by honoring the cultural memories of George Washington and Frederick Douglass. Just like these trailblazing women, we have the fortitude to walk in their footsteps and prove that by cooperative agreement we can measure up. As social critic and author James Baldwin said, "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."

The African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund will continue to examine and eliminate inequities through new forms of partnership, interpretation, and funding. Our leadership is about pursuing an idea, something yet to be seen, and a culture of learning to increase our relevancy and impact. We promote preservation as economic and social justice. We partner with humility in service of African Americans whose overlooked stories and contributions provide strength and examples of overcoming impossible-seeming odds. We draw inspiration and resilience from African American historic places.

Historic sites that bring forward a diverse and inclusive national narrative are playing a crucial role in redefining our collective history and, meaningfully, expanding the preservation movement in equitable ways. These cultural assets help us all walk toward a new era of justice. May our nation face its past to create a more just American culture with preservationists on the front lines protecting and preserving our diverse historic places and communities.

Be well and thrive.

Brent Leggs
Executive Director
African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.