[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2020-06-18

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Jun 18 12:13:23 PDT 2021

Oregon Heritage News 2020-06-18

In this issue:

  *   From the Governor: Celebrating Juneteenth
  *   Story of Henry Dosch featured in the Oregon Heritage Exchange
  *   SHPO requests feedback regarding definition of "Oregon Qualified Archaeologist"
  *   AAM release new report on museums and creative aging
  *   City of La Grande seeks historic preservation consultant
  *   Stamp Our Story Campaign: THE GO FOR BROKE SOLDIERS: Japanese American Soldiers of WWII
  *   Oregon Historical Quarterly Free Article: "The Rise and Fall of 'No Special Rights'"
  *   Oregon Main Street Upstairs Downtown Workshop June 22

***********************
>From the Governor: Celebrating Juneteenth

This message is from Governor Brown regarding recognizing Juneteenth as a state holiday:

Last week I signed into law HB 2168<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2021R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2168/Enrolled>, making Juneteenth<https://nmaahc.si.edu/blog-post/historical-legacy-juneteenth> (also known as Emancipation Day) an official state holiday in Oregon. Juneteenth marks the day in 1865 when a group of enslaved people in Galveston, Texas, finally learned that they were free from slavery-almost two-and-a-half years after President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. Today we celebrate Juneteenth on June 19 to commemorate the freedom of Black Americans and to recognize the end of slavery in the United States.

We must never forget that, as the framers crafted our country's founding documents, their ideas of liberty, justice, and a more perfect union applied only to a select few. The white landowners who created the Constitution and the Bill of Rights founded this country on democratic principles, while perpetuating violence towards human beings they treated as property. For centuries, Black people were ripped from their homes and families, shipped across oceans, and bought, traded, and abused. The wound of that horrific past on the soul of this nation has not healed, as the legacy of slavery shapes the inequities of our present day.

Celebrating and recognizing Juneteenth as a state holiday is one step towards healing and justice. It is a small, yet important step, to reimagining a more perfect union that truly protects the rights of all.

We must continue on the path to liberty, justice, and equity for all. As I've mentioned before, one of my top priorities is ending systemic racism and addressing racial disparities. I am grateful for the work of the Racial Justice Council<https://www.oregon.gov/gov/policy/racial-justice-council/Pages/default.aspx> and the legislature's BIPOC caucus<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/pham/Documents/BIPOC%20Caucus%20Legislative%20Agenda%203.1.21.pdf> for their work to address Oregon's past of racism and division. Working together, we can build a just and equitable Oregon-a place where everyone is included and at home, and where we all have the opportunity to be safe and thrive.

Because HB 2168 makes Juneteenth an official state holiday starting in 2022, this year I have proclaimed<https://www.oregon.gov/gov/Documents/Juneteenth2021.pdf> June 19 to be Juneteenth in Oregon. I encourage all Oregonians to take time to learn about the history of Juneteenth and to celebrate together. This should be a day of celebration, reflection, and joy.

I also know there is still much more work to do, and I remain committed to engaging with communities across Oregon to fight for an Oregon where everyone can thrive.

-Governor Kate Brown

Travel Oregon also put together a list of some events that are happening across the state in honor of Juneteenth:

  *    Juneteenth Oregon Celebration<https://t.e2ma.net/click/l4keqg/pv851c/92fotyb>, statewide virtual event

  *   Black-Owned Business Crawl<https://t.e2ma.net/click/l4keqg/pv851c/pvgotyb>, Portland

  *    Juneteenth Celebration<https://t.e2ma.net/click/l4keqg/pv851c/5nhotyb>, Medford
  *    Juneteenth Celebration<https://t.e2ma.net/click/l4keqg/pv851c/lgiotyb>, Coos Bay
In addition to the events above, the Willamette Valley region has shared a list of resources<https://t.e2ma.net/click/l4keqg/pv851c/18iotyb>.

***********************
Story of Henry Dosch featured in the Oregon Heritage Exchange

The Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries continues to share stories from Oregon's historic cemeteries. The most recent post on the Oregon Heritage Exchange was shared by the Multnomah County Library and features Henry Dosch who is interred at the River View Cemetery in Portland. Check out this story here<https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2021/06/17/the-story-of-henry-dosch-born-june-17-1841/>.

***********************
SHPO requests feedback regarding definition of "Oregon Qualified Archaeologist"

Oregon SHPO is collecting information on the Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 390.235(6)(b)<https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_390.235> definition of an "Oregon qualified archaeologist". These are individuals that meet the statute criteria to be able to apply for state issued archaeological excavation and collection permits.

We are hoping to get feedback from the archaeological community by taking the survey at the link below. If you have a couple minutes we appreciate your time. The survey is open to anyone.

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FHGJNKM

***********************
AAM release new report on museums and creative aging

New Report: Museums and Creative Aging<https://aam-us.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2605bbc11e6752de338ce7e61&id=b8a1d69bde&e=0645a66f24>
This landmark report commissioned by the American Alliance of Museums and written by Marjorie Schwarzer is a call to action for museums to change the narrative about what it means to grow old in America.
Download your free copy ><https://aam-us.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2605bbc11e6752de338ce7e61&id=8d24b692b7&e=0645a66f24>

***********************
City of La Grande seeks historic preservation consultant

The City of La Grande is seeking to hire an outside consultant to assist in improving and rewriting the City's Downtown Historic District Standards and to facilitate a strong public engagement process. The City would like to begin this project by this Fall, with completion by June 2022. This project is being funded with the assistance of a matching grant-in-aid from the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the Historic Preservation Fund, National Park Service, Department of the Interior.

If you or your firm have the resources to assist La Grande in this effort, we would appreciate hearing from you. The RFP is posted on the City of La Grande Planning Division page at http://planning.cityoflagrande.org.  Or, for a direct download, click here<http://cityoflagrande.org/muraProjects/muraLAG/lagcity/assets/File/La_Grande_Consultant_packet.pdf>. Those interested can respond to the RFP by July 23, 2021. If you have any questions regarding the RFP, please feel free to email Michael Boquist at mboquist at cityoflagrande.org or contact the City of La Grande Planning Department at 541-962-1307.

***********************
Stamp Our Story Campaign: THE GO FOR BROKE SOLDIERS: Japanese American Soldiers of WWII

Earlier this month, the U.S. Postal Service released its newest commemorative stamp, the "GO FOR BROKE SOLDIERS: Japanese American Soldiers of WWII" stamp. This Forever Stamp honors the little known contributions of American soldiers of Japanese ancestry (the Nisei) who served courageously during World War II. With the frightening increase in violent attacks on Asian Americans, learning about the patriotism and heroic military history of these Japanese American soldiers during World War II is critical. It teaches us that people of color have contributed to the preservation of freedom and democracy throughout the history of America,
often with their lives.

Ceremonies celebrating this Forever Stamp will be or have been held across the nation. Oregon will hold its ceremony on June 14th, 5:30 PM at the Oregon Historical Society in Portland, Oregon. Due to COVID safety precautions restricting large public gatherings, the public is invited to attend virtually (vimeo.com/543729988). It will also be posted on the website www.StampOurStory.org<http://www.StampOurStory.org>.

Who were these soldiers and what is the meaning of the motto "GO FOR BROKE"? They were "Nisei," American citizens born in the United States to immigrants ("Issei") from Japan. "GO FOR BROKE" characterized their teamwork, spirit and courage. The face of a soldier and the motto of these troops is etched on the stamp. These soldiers served in combat in Europe, as linguists in the Pacific Theatre and in the post-war occupation of Japan. They numbered just 33,000 men and women but suffered huge casualties. They include one of the most decorated military units in history, earning 9,486 Purple Hearts and 21 Medals of Honor.

While these Nisei soldiers were fighting and dying for their country, America, their grandparents, parents, spouses, children and relatives were incarcerated in American concentration camps. Solely because of their Japanese heritage, over 120,000 Japanese American citizens and others of Japanese ancestry were deemed enemies of the U.S., were ordered to leave almost everything they owned, and were imprisoned in camps surrounded by barbed wire. Four thousand Oregonians were forced to leave their homes, businesses and farms and live in one of ten American concentration camps. The loyalty of these soldiers and their families is indisputable. For more information see www.StampOurStory.org<http://www.StampOurStory.org>.

In 2005 the "Stamp Our Story" campaign for the "GO FOR BROKE" stamp was launched by three Nisei women in California to honor these soldiers. Support in Oregon has been ongoing since the beginning of the campaign.

According to Doug Katagiri, son of linguist George Katagiri, veteran of the Military Intelligence Service: "This unique commemoration recognizes and reminds us of the legacy achieved by Nisei veterans of WWII. It's impossible to overstate their sacrifices in building this legacy, fighting a war abroad while enduring racism and an extraordinary episode of national injustice at home."

Oregonians across the state are invited to join the celebration (virtually at vimeo.com/543729988) to learn about these patriotic Japanese American soldiers and their families. For Oregonians of Japanese ancestry, it will be a long awaited opportunity to celebrate the contributions of the "GO FOR BROKE" Nisei soldiers and their ancestors.

The program will feature Honorary Chair and former Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski and four generations of Nisei veterans' descendants. Three vignettes by Asian American actors will portray stories of military service: David Loftus reading an excerpt from Harold Okimoto's diary, the 522nd Field Artillery Battalion; Alton Chung presenting former Congressman Al Ullman's tribute to Frank Hachiya, Military Intelligence Service; and Ken Yoshikawa, reading Art Iwasaki's letter to the HIllsboro Argus, 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

Former Gov. Kulongoski lauded the Nisei veterans in this way: "Our Japanese American World War II veterans fought for democracy while their own families were incarcerated in concentration camps on American soil. They believed in America. We salute them. And we will not forget."

Sponsors and supporters of the event include the Oregon Nisei Veterans, the Japanese American Museum of Oregon, the Oregon Historical Society, the Portland Japanese American Citizens' League and the Mary Yamaguchi Foundation at the Community Foundation of Southwest Washington.

***********************
Oregon Historical Quarterly Free Article: "The Rise and Fall of 'No Special Rights'"

Check out this free article from the Spring 2021 issue of the Oregon Historical Quarterly:

In 1992, the Oregon Citizens Alliance (OCA) sponsored ballot Measure 9 in Oregon, which author William Schultz describes as "one of the most comprehensive - and harshest - antigay measures put to voters in American history." OCA's "No Special Rights" slogan implied that homosexuals sought "special" rights rather than protection against discrimination. In "The Rise and Fall of 'No Special Rights<https://t.e2ma.net/click/77szpg/jtxycc/rv0wtjb>'," published in the Spring 2021 issue of the Oregon Historical Quarterly, Schultz examines Oregon's anti-LGBTQ rights measures during the late 1980s and early 1990s and a similar campaign, Amendment 2, in Colorado and how they illuminate "a transitional moment in the history of the Christian Right." Shultz argues that the story of these campaigns is ultimately a failure, "albeit an instructive failure....in examining how and why a certain concept - such as 'No Special Rights' - might take hold in one community and not another."

***********************
Oregon Main Street Upstairs Downtown Workshop June 22

Upstairs Downtown Workshop is next week, Tuesday, June 22, 1 to 5:30 pm

Julie Garver with Innovative Housing will be talking about the Merwyn Hotel project in Astoria in the Case Studies portion of the agenda. Here's a link to a video of this project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCsH8TOaDZg. A smaller scale project in Klamath Falls will also be featured with owners Mike and Rachael Moore joining the call.

Agenda
Upstairs Downtown Workshop, June 22, 1 to 5:30 pm
Dan Carmody and Mike Jackson introduce Upstairs Downtown, an award-wining downtown revitalization program. Upstairs Downtown gives participants a working knowledge of the development challenges and opportunities needed to increase the use of vacant upper stories found in many older downtowns.
a. Introduction and Creating A Downtown Housing Market
Dan Carmody kicks off the program with a framework for successful revitalization. Learn how to recognize the inherent assets of downtown and build enthusiasm and support for upper floor strategies.
b. Building Assessment and Code
Mike Jackson provides a comprehensive overview of the architectural and planning variables that affect upper story reuse. Learn how to recognize the key assets to build upon as well as the major barriers to overcome.
c. Upper Floor Economics
Dan Carmody provides a primer on development economics and finance. Learn how to accurately project costs and income and understanding the details of a real estate "pro forma." Learn about the different perspectives of key participants in the development
equation so you can "make the numbers work."
d. Upstairs Downtown Case Studies
Mike Jackson will present a variety of completed projects that showcase development options and incentives. The use of federal tax credits and local incentives will be part of each case study.
e. Wrap Up & Q AND A

When: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 01:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Upstairs Downtown Workshop

Please click the link below to join the webinar:
https://zoom.us/j/92766557041?pwd=bFlMVElwWmR4UXBMZ29adURycEsrQT09
Passcode: 797816
Or One tap mobile :
    US: +16699006833,,92766557041#  or +12532158782,,92766557041#
Or Telephone:
        US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 253 215 8782  or +1 346 248 7799  or +1 929 436 2866  or +1 301 715 8592  or +1 312 626 6799
Webinar ID: 927 6655 7041
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/abMbv2ty5k

Learn more about Oregon Main Street by visiting www.oregonmainstreet.org<http://www.oregonmainstreet.org>.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.