[kids-lib] Call for SRP Ideas for 2010 Manual

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Aug 15 08:12:57 PDT 2008

Hello!  This is your opportunity to submit ideas to the CSLP summer reading children's manual for 2010! Send your ideas to Patti Sinclair, 306 Virginia Terrace, Madison, WI  53726, trishsinclair at sbcglobal.net by December 1.  Details below:

Make a  Splash @ Your Library

2010 Collaborative Summer Library Program

Call for Ideas by December 1, 2008

Here are our working chapter titles with program ideas that have  been suggested for the Make a Splash 2010 manual..  If you have other  ideas, I’d love to hear about them.  If you can expand on any of the  ideas already mentioned, please do!

I am especially interested in your ideas for:

* School visits and other       ways of promoting the program in your community
* Setting the Scene: library       decorations, bulletin boards, props, etc.
* Family literacy and       programs

Send your ideas to:

Patti Sinclair

306 Virginia Terrace

Madison, WI  53726

trishsinclair at sbcglobal.net

Deadline:  December 1st,  2008

Make a Splash @ Your Library

Chapter 1 Planning

Chapter 2 Promotion

Chapter 3. WOW (Wonders of Water)

                                Water  science: experiments with water, Ice, Dry ice

                                Weather:  storms,

                                Arctic  and Antarctica

                                Where  does water come from/go:  sewers, dams, canals

                                Conserving  water

                                “Just  Add Water”:program on making food, growing things

“Brain Freeze”: way to make ice cream  and other cool treats

Chapter 4. An Ocean of Fun

                Sea  creatures: whales, sharks, dolphins, octopus, seahorses, etc.

Sea serpent party

                Lighthouses

Mermaids

                Puppet  Play: Biggest Fish in the Sea

                Puppet  Play: Little Red Parrotfish

Chapter 5.  High Seas Shenanigans

                Pirates

Boats and Ships

                Ocean  myths and legends

                Treasure  Chests

                Shipwrecks

                Underwater  Exploration

                Submarines

                Coral  Reef Adventure

                Shackleton,  Voyage of the Beagle (Darwin), other famous voyages

                Puppet  Play:  Jacques and the Seaweed

Chapter 6. Splish Splash Summer

                Bubbles

                Beaches:  sandcastles, beachcombing, luau, seashells

Bathtime

Pets in Water: goldfish

                Puddles  and Mud

On the Boardwalk; On the pier

Water Games

Toe Dip:  Try something new  this summer

Decorate your flip-flops

                Pool  Party, Beach Party, Water Carnival

Chapter 7.  Squish, Squash Summer: Lake  life, river rats, and wetlands-

                Wetlands  (leave it to beavers, swamp thing, salt marsh)

                Rivers  and river life—Amazon, Nile, Mississippi. Local rivers

Creatures that live in these areas:  Frogs, toads, turtles, alligators, hippos

Water birds

                Fish  and Fishing, fly tying,

                Water  Sports?: sailing, sailboarding, canoeing, kayaking

                Water  Safety