[kids-lib] ALA Youth Awards Announced!

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Jan 26 09:22:29 PST 2009

2009 ALA Youth Media Awards

Newbery Medal: Neil Gaiman, author of "The Graveyard Book," illustrated by Dave McKean

Caldecott Medal: Beth Krommes, illustrator of "The House in the Night," written by Susan Marie Swanson

Coretta Scott King Illustrator Book winner: "The Blacker the Berry," illustrated by Floyd Cooper, written by Joyce Carol Thomas

Coretta Scott King Author Book winner: "We Are the Ship: The Story of the Negro League Baseball," written and illustrated by Kadir Nelson

Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Author Award: Shadra Strickland, illustrator of "Bird," written by Zetta Elliott

Belpré Author Award: "The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom" by Margarita Engle

Belpré Illustrator Award: "Just in Case" by Yuyi Morales, a Neal Porter Book,

Geisel Award: "Are You Ready to Play Outside?" written and illustrated by Mo Willems

Odyssey Award: "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," written and narrated by Sherman Alexie

Sibert Medal: "We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball" written and illustrated by Kadir Nelson,

To find out about the other awards, and to learn the honor books go to the ASLC blog at: http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528