[kids-lib] Gale's Summer Reading Resources // Common Core State Standards

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Nov 17 12:10:40 PST 2011

A few months ago I discovered Gale's summer reading resources designed to help library staff incorporate Gale databases in summer reading programs. Thought I'd share about this now so I don't forget (:)) and so you can take time to explore what might interest you.
            http://www.gale.cengage.com/guidedtour/

Some of the ideas relate to databases that are not part of the statewide database licensing program but that your library might subscribe to on its own, like Books & Authors.

However, others relate to databases in the statewide package. For example, in the tutorial labeled Gale Resources for Young Readers, they suggest using Kids InfoBits, InfoTrac Junior, and other databases to find children's magazines like Appleseeds, Faces, Boy's Life, etc. Then bookmark the magazines' homepages and create a page on your website where you list the links. Or, create a list of articles that relate to the summer reading theme.
http://www.gale.cengage.com/media/training/summer/summer_readers/summer_readers.htm

What I especially liked about that specific idea is that it can encourage children to include non-fiction in their summer reading habits. As you may know, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) that were adopted by the Oregon State Board of Education a year ago stress reading a variety of increasingly complex informational text.
Common Core Shifts: http://www.ode.state.or.us/wma/teachlearn/commoncore/common-core-shifts-ela.pdf
Achieving the Common Core: http://www.ode.state.or.us/wma/teachlearn/commoncore/achieving-ccss-ela.pdf
ODE's CCSS Homepage: http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=2860

FYI,