[kids-lib] Resources: Serving underserved youth

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Dec 8 09:03:17 PST 2014

Hi! Below are online learning opportunities specifically related to serving underserved youth I learned about from ALA’s Association for Library Services to Children (some are relevant for teen services too!). Many of your libraries are partnering with youth development teams, early learning hubs, and other groups that are particularly concerned with providing services and opportunities for underserved youth so these may be useful in your partnerships. In addition if the proposed changes to the Ready to Read Grant are approved by the Legislature, then the libraries will be required to make an extra effort to engage underserved youth in one or more grant funded activity and these resources may help you start thinking about ways to do that.

Katie Anderson, Library Support and Development Services

[StoryTime_GrandeRonde.png]<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/partner-downloads/>
Become a StORytime<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/become-a-partner/> partner!

________________________________

Resources for Serving Special Populations<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AlscBlog/~3/UubQiSB2fz4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

One of the things that I love about librarianship is that it’s a dynamic profession. It is an evolving field that challenges us to continuously learn and grow in our professional development to better serve our communities.  As a member of ALSC’s Library Service to Special Population Children and Their Caregivers Committee<http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms/pg1childadv/als-lscsn>, we have a specific goal to advocate for special populations children and their caregivers.  We strive to discover, develop, and disseminate information about materials, programs and facilities that are available at the library for these groups of patrons.  One of the things that we suggest is that library staff at all levels participate in continuing educational programs and classes about serving these special populations.  Here is a current list of online resources available through ALSC, ASCLA, YASLA, and Webjunction for you to help you grow in awareness and competency in this area.
§ ALSC’s list of Professional Tools for Librarians Serving Youth<http://www.ala.org/alsc/professional-tools-librarians-serving-youth>.  You’ll find a lot of great information about access, advocacy, diversity, public awareness, and more.
§ “City Librarian, Country Library”<http://www.ala.org/alsc/citycountrystudentsession> student session [Archived webinar you may watch free at anytime]
§ Webjunction’s Serving the Underserved: Children with Disabilities at Your Library<http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/serving-the-underserved-children.html> archived webinar [Archived webinar you may watch free at anytime with access to lots of handouts and other resources you can download for free]
§ Webjunction’s Rainbow Family Connections: Embracing LGBTQ Families at Your Library<http://learn.webjunction.org/course/index.php?categoryid=25> online course [Archived webinar you may watch free at anytime]
§ Using the Every Child Ready to Read @ your library® Toolkit with Spanish-Speaking Communities<http://www.ala.org/alsc/using-ecrr> webcast [Archived webinar you may purchase for $25 per person or for $195 to view as a group]
§ What’s After Storytime: Programming for Children and Tweens With Autism<http://www.ala.org/alsc/afterstorytime> webcast [Archived webinar you may purchase for $25 per person or for $195 to view as a group]
§ Sensory Storytime: Preschool Programming That Makes Sense for Kids with Autism<http://www.ala.org/alsc/edcareeers/profdevelopment/alscweb/courses/sensorystorytime> webcast [Archived webinar you may purchase for $25 per person or for $195 to view as a group]
§ Children with Disabilities in the Library<http://www.ala.org/alsc/edcareeers/profdevelopment/alscweb/courses/childrendisab> online course [Starting January 5 and going for 6 weeks for $185]
§ ASCLA’s Improving Library Services to People with Disabilities<http://www.ala.org/ascla/asclaevents/onlinelearning/libraryservices> online course [March 2-29, 2015. $195 for ALA members, $230 for non-ALA members]
§ ASCLA’s Going to Jail: How Juvenile Books Portray the Prison Experience<http://www.ala.org/ascla/asclaevents/onlinelearning/goingtojail> online course [April 13-May 17, 2015. $195 for ALA members, $230 for non-ALA members]
§ YALSA’s Beyond Booklists<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/onlinelearning/onlinecourses/beyond_booklists> online course [This course is not currently scheduled to be offered, but is available to be licensed for presentation to your library by contacting Nicole Gibby Munguia at nmunguia at ala.org<mailto:nmunguia at ala.org> or 1-800-545-2433 ext. 5293.

Renee Grassi, LSSPCC Committee Member