[kids-lib] Resources: NASA explores Pluto this summer!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Jun 16 16:07:51 PDT 2015

Hi! I just learned about the following resources that may be useful in planning STEM library programs. I thought some of you may be interested.

This is not an endorsement.  Please remember to follow your library’s policies to review all possible resources to make sure they are an appropriate fit for your library and community.

For more information, go to: https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/index.cfm

Questions? Contact:
Keliann LaConte
(281) 486-2166
laconte at lpi.usra.edu<mailto:laconte at lpi.usra.edu>
[Slogan Text][Cooper_laughing]
Summer Reading 2015 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>

NASA Explores Pluto This Summer!
On July 14, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft will become the first mission to get up close and personal with distant Pluto and its moons. The New Horizons mission will help us understand the small, icy worlds at the edge of our solar system. New Horizons launched on January 19, 2006 and will capture the first up-close images of Pluto and its moons on July 14, 2015. As part of an extended mission, the spacecraft is expected to head farther into the Kuiper Belt to examine more icy, mini-worlds.

Download the Libraries’ Guide to Solar System Exploration: The New Horizons Mission at the Pluto System<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/look_up> for programming resources. Find online resources for hosting a night sky viewing in partnership with a local amateur astronomy club<http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/clubs-and-events.cfm>, as well as information about exploring the solar system and the New Horizons mission to the Pluto system. Connect with social media and STEM events around the nation using NASA’s Pluto Toolkit<https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/plutotoolkit.cfm>. Make your own “planets” out of modeling clay, Styrofoam™ balls, and other common materials, and invite children to plan a mission to explore these “new worlds” using paper towel tube “telescopes.”  Find a complete materials list, supporting resources, and facilitation strategies with the Explore! activity planning guide, Strange New Planet<http://www.lpi.usra.edu/explore/beyondEarth/activities/newPlanet.shtml>.

Are you planning to host a Pluto/New Horizons event? Have you hosted a NASA mission milestone event in the past? We’d love to hear which resources you used and what other types resources you would like to see!  Join the conversation at http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/community_corner/?story_id=127!

Keliann LaConte
Informal Education/Explore! Program Lead
Education and Public Outreach
Lunar and Planetary Institute
3600 Bay Area Boulevard
Houston, TX  77058-1113