[kids-lib] Need photos and stories about outreach and play areas by 5/1

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Apr 15 15:42:12 PDT 2016

Hi! I'm giving another presentation about Oregon public libraries to the Childcare Division in the Oregon Department of Education and their early learning partners. This time I'm presenting about what materials, programs, and services your library provides for childcare providers and play areas in libraries for young children. Please send photos and brief stories/information about your play areas and services to childcare providers by May 1st. If your photos have people in them, make sure you have permission to publicly share/release the photos.

Thanks,
Katie

Do you want more guidance?

*         The purpose is for state-level early childhood professionals to tell their regional and local frontline staff to use your library because you offer lots of awesome stuff for them and the children they care for!

*         I'll be plugging the information you provide into a PowerPoint so the stories/information need to be really brief-imagine what you write will be on one PowerPoint slide that also includes a photo.

*         Some examples of things you provide for childcare provider are storytime kits they can check out from your library, rotating tub of books delivered to their childcare site regularly, storytime at their childcare site, early literacy training for them and/or the parents of the children they care for.

*         A play area might be very small and integrated into your library. It might be one section of shelves that, instead of books, has tubs of toys that kids/families can pull out and play with at a table or on the floor among the children's book stacks.

Do you want to know the history?

*         The Early Learning Partners Forum is group of state-level early learning agencies and organizations that meets every-other month and is facilitated by the Childcare Division in the Oregon Department of Education. It is sort-of like my version of the regional early learning hub meetings many of you attend.

*         Last year the Forum asked me to present about summer reading at public libraries so I asked you all for summer reading photos and stories.

*         Two years ago the Forum asked me to present about early literacy at public libraries so I asked you all for early literacy photos and stories.

*         The facilitator of the Forum said she loves to have a library presentation at our June meeting every year because it's great to kick-off the summer with something that makes everyone attending the meeting feel good about:)

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>

[http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslissues/slm/AASL_SLM2016_468x60_0.png]<http://www.ala.org/aasl/slm>