[kids-lib] Review of PebbleGo Next States and American Indians database (elementary)

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Dec 2 08:38:40 PST 2016

I encourage those of you who have or are considering subscribing to PebbleGo Nest States and American Indians read Debbie Reese’s review of it on her blog here<https://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2016/12/not-recommended-pebblego-next.html>. Not only is it a useful review of the product, it also provides information to help us select other materials about American Indians.

For example, materials should use the term “nation” instead of “culture” when making geo-political references because, as Debbie says, “tribes are sovereign nations with jurisdiction over their reservation homelands.” The review also provides a good reminder to notice and be conscience about how past and present tense are used in regards to native peoples. If the traditions are discussed in past tense, we must ask ourselves if these are actually old traditions that are no longer practiced or are they traditions people currently practice.

Thanks,
Katie

Katie Anderson, MLS, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>