[kids-lib] Mock Printz Results

Lisa Elliott lisae at tigard-or.gov
Tue Jan 23 13:21:57 PST 2018

Hello all you marvelous people! We had an incredible Mock Printz workshop last Saturday. For the first time ever, we librarians were completely outnumbered by teenagers, and it was heavenly. These smarties made our great conversations and energetic debate possible. So, without further ado, here are the results for the 2018 Oregon Mock Printz!

Winner: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
The natural voice, vivid setting, and emotional wallop made this the book to beat this year. It is a remarkable literary achievement.

Honor: Bull by David Elliott
Honor: Midnight at the Electric by Jodi Lynn Anderson

So, with only eight titles painstakingly chosen for the workshop, what other books do you think may be Printz-worthy? Workshop attendees came up with this list:

*        The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater

*       Allegedly by Tiffany Jackson

*       As the Crow Flies by Melanie Gillman

*       Book of Dust by Phillip Pullman

*       Disappeared by Francisco X. Stork

*       Eliza and Her Monsters Francesca Zappia

*       Far From the Tree by Robin Benway

*       The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee

*       Landscape With Invisible Hand by M.T. Anderson

*       Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

*       Saints and Misfits S.K. Ali

*       This Impossible Light by Lily Myers

*       Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

*       You Bring the Distant Near by Mitali Perkins

Don't forget to tune in for the ALA Youth Media Awards on February 12 at 8:00 a.m. MT. And save the date for next year's Mock Printz workshop on Saturday, January 19. Location is TBD.

Best,
Lisa

Lisa N Elliott
Young Adult Librarian
Tigard Public Library<https://tigmail.tigard-or.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=aaaabd67a91f446f9a4439814d9fa21c&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.tigard-or.gov%2flibrary>
lisae at tigard-or.gov<https://tigmail.tigard-or.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=aaaabd67a91f446f9a4439814d9fa21c&URL=mailto%3alisae%40tigard-or.gov>
503-718-2654

DISCLAIMER: E-mails sent or received by City of Tigard employees are subject to public record laws. If requested, e-mail may be disclosed to another party unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law. E-mails are retained by the City of Tigard in compliance with the Oregon Administrative Rules "City General Records Retention Schedule."