[kids-lib] Planning summer reading? Fostering Readers activity plans can help!

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Mon Apr 4 09:29:07 PDT 2022

Fostering Readers is a research-based set of resources to help library staff plan literacy activities for K-3rd grade children who are learning how to read. They are great summer reading activities for early elementary students!

  *   Ready-to-go activity plans with scripts<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/extended-activity-plans.html> created by the Fostering Readers team
  *   Activity plans created by pilot project participants<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/activity-plans-by-pilot-sites.html> and other children’s library staff<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/activity-plans-by-others.html>
  *   Template to plan your own research-based activities<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/create-your-own-activities.html>

My colleague, Susan Cackler at Banks Public Library, has been using Fostering Readers to implement Camp Big Read in partnership with her local elementary school for a couple years now. The program is open to all children, like most public library programs, and teachers send personal invitations to students who need extra reading support over the summer. Susan does most of the advance planning. During Camp Big Read, Susan and the teachers take turns using Fostering Readers activity plans to lead the activities. They also created a few of their own research-based activities using the Fostering Readers planning template.

They had nearly 100 kids participate last summer in grades one through five and are getting positive feedback from families. One parent told Susan that, after participating in Camp Big Read, her daughter started picking up books and choosing to read in her free time! This is the behavior we want to see because research shows the more kids read, the better readers they become.

Fostering Readers was created by Deborah Gitlitz, Kari Kunst, Jen Burkart, and Kelli Scardina in partnership with OregonASK and WCCLS and funded by the Library Services and Technology Act grant administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Thanks,
Katie Anderson (she/her)
Youth Services Librarian
Library & Community Initiatives Team