[kids-lib] Leverage Gale to Support Youth Learning and Summer Reading - video now available

MAURER Jennifer L * SLO Jennifer.MAURER at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Apr 15 13:34:52 PDT 2022

I am forwarding this on behalf of my colleague, Arlene Weible. Please pardon the cross-posting. - Thanks, Jen

Hi,

If you are seeking ideas or inspiration for summer learning and reading activities for kids this summer, I wanted to draw your attention to the recording of the short, 30 minute webinar, Leverage Gale to Support Youth Learning and Summer Reading<https://video.cengage.com/watch/oxu1dbb5C7rNZtKyZeVHzL>, held earlier this week.

The State Library provides free access to libraries to a suite of Gale databases and resources through Statewide Database Licensing Program<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/SDLP_FAQ/Gale>. These resources are available through your local library's e-resources website, or you can access them through Libraries of Oregon<https://www.galepages.com/oregon_pages>.

This webinar offers a great overview of four of the Gale resources that provide images, videos, articles, activity plans and other resources that can be used to support kids in summer learning and reading activities over the summer. These are also great resources to promote with homeschooling parents. The resources highlighted include:

Gale In Context: Elementary<https://galesupport.com/oregongeo/oregongeoLink.php?loc=oregon_sl&db=ITKE> - a great source for images and videos related to animals and the outdoors

National Geographic Kids<https://galesupport.com/oregongeo/oregongeoLink.php?loc=oregon_sl&db=NGMK> - issues of the National Geographic Kids magazine and other great National Geographic videos and graphic materials

Gale In Context: Middle School<https://galesupport.com/oregongeo/oregongeoLink.php?loc=oregon_sl&db=MSIC> - provides great topic overviews and a source for experimental activities

Gale Books & Authors<https://galesupport.com/oregongeo/oregongeoLink.php?loc=oregon_sl&db=BNA> - a reader's advisory tool to help kids find new books in all sorts of genres

If you need assistance with accessing any of these resources, or would like to arrange more library staff training in using Gale resources, please contact me!

--Arlene

Arlene Weible, MLS (she/her/hers)
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
State Library of Oregon
arlene.weible at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[State Library of Oregon Logo]