[kids-lib] Friday, Feb 25th Shoutout

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Feb 25 10:26:37 PST 2022

Hello everyone,

It's been a very full week over here and I bet in your neck of the woods as well. Some of you may know I've spent a good amount of time in Baltimore. I lived there while the HBO series The Wire was being filmed. My high school students often gave me daily recaps, since they lived in neighborhoods it filmed in and adored the show. I've been thinking a lot lately about one of my favorite characters, Bubs. He often says profound things no one pays much attention to. In Season 5, episode 9, Bubs says "Ain't no shame in holding onto grief, as long as you make room for other things, too."

That's my long way of getting to there's a lot of hard stuff happening right now in our world, communities, and families, too. I don't do shoutouts every week to ignore the hard stuff, but to honor that in the midst of hard things there are always good things happening too. This week I want to shoutout kids' librarian Alec Chunn and newspaper reporter Holly Goodman, who wrote such a great article about Alec starting recently at Tualatin Public Library<https://tualatinlife.com/people/new-tualatin-childrens-librarian-recommends-imaginative-books-for-early-readers/>. We love to see communities appreciating their youth librarians!

Thanks to all of you for your work this week getting books into kids' hands, we appreciate it over here.

Best,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[Title: State Library of Oregon]