[kids-lib] Introducing Unpacking: A Discussion Group

Taylor Worley taylorlgkw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:20:44 PDT 2022

*Please excuse the cross-post. *

Hi folks,

Last month we asked if folks might be interested in a monthly discussion
group to talk out some of the trickier aspects of life, the universe, and
everything. We're pleased to announce that the group now exists!

*"Unpacking" will meet virtually on the first Thursday of each month at
7:30 p.m., beginning in April.* Right now, your discussion
moderators/facilitators will be myself, Caitlin McMahan of Eugene Public
Library, and/or Brittany Young of Lane County Law Library.

For full details, please see the Unpacking website
<https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/>. We do not want to make the Zoom
links public (in an effort to avoid The Trolls), so we are asking folks to
sign up on the website. You don't need to sign up each month - just once -
and you can request to be removed from the mailing list at any time.

We'll post the discussion topic as a blog post each month in advance, as
well as a more robust post after the discussion to share major themes,
ideas, resources, etc. The site also has the beginnings of a resources
page, as well as forms to suggest topics and ask questions.

*The first topic is colloquialisms, phrases, and words which have bigoted
origins. *What phrases can we use instead? How can we help ourselves break
the habit? How do we redirect, correct, or demonstrate good language
choices?

We want to stress that *none of the facilitators are experts* in any
particular topic; we just want to learn and help others learn. We hope that
this space can be one where folks feel safe to ask questions and figure
stuff out, together.

Finally, we'll continue to share monthly reminders on the list-servs,
however they will start to come from unpackingdiscussion at gmail.com. Please
feel free to reach out to us via that email or the contact form on the
website.

Thanks so much, y'all!

*Taylor Worley (she/her)                                                 *Youth
Services Librarian
Springfield Public Library
225 5th Street
Springfield, OR 97422