[Libs-Or] James J. Kopp

Elaine Hirsch elaineg at lclark.edu
Sat Aug 7 05:20:12 PDT 2010

Dear Oregon Library Community,

It is with deep sadness that I share Jim Kopp passed away Thursday after a
struggle with cancer.  Jim served as the director of Aubrey R. Watzek
Library at Lewis & Clark College since 1999.  Prior to that he was the
director of the PORTALS library consortium and the University of Portland
Library, and held additional leadership positions in academic and special
libraries during his career.

A graduate of the University of Oregon, Jim was a scholar in utopian and
communal studies, and recently published a book on Oregon's utopian history,
Eden Within Eden.  He was active in the Oregon Council for the Humanities'
Chautauqua program and lectured at libraries and organizations throughout
the state.

A mentor and friend to his staff at Watzek Library, he will be sorely
missed.  Our hearts go out to his wife Sue Kopp and his children, and to all
of his colleagues and friends.

Sincerely,
Elaine Hirsch
Aubrey R. Watzek Library