[Libs-Or] How much assistance for non-computer users?

Dolores Knight dknight at cclsd.org
Fri Aug 6 17:14:44 PDT 2010

My questions are directed to the public librarians.

First, have you seen an increase in non-computer users coming in expecting the
librarians to perform their Internet tasks for them?  By this I mean writing and
sending emails, surfing the Internet (especially shopping sites), doing the typing
and filling out forms, and posting ads to Craigslist or e-Bay for them?  I am
referring to patrons who don't know and don't want to know how to use computers or
the Internet and have no desire to learn.

Second, what are your libraries' policies in regards to these requests?

Thank you,

Dolores Knight, Reference Librarian
Coos Bay Public Library
525 Anderson Ave.