[Libs-Or] Two New Books Available at OSL (Copyright, FRBR)

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Dec 22 17:17:50 PST 2010

New books have been added to the Library and Information Science collection at OSL.  For information about how to borrow any of these, see the bottom section in this email.
                                                            [cid:image001.png at 01CBA1FB.BD9B5CD0]
Taylor, A. G. (Ed.). (2007). Understanding FRBR: What it is and how it will affect our retrieval tools. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.
            ISBN: 978-1-59158-509-1

Description from Libraries Unlimited:
"What is FRBR, and why is everyone talking about it? Is it really going to revolutionize cataloguing? And if so, what form will it take? This book is written for librarians, bibliographic systems designers, library and information science faculty and students, and anyone else who is interested in learning about the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) and how following the FRBR model can improve access to information through helpful organization of the metadata records that are surrogates for information resources. Serials, art, music, moving images, maps, and archival materials are just a few of the formats covered. Not for catalogers only!" [Contents<http://lu.com/showbook.cfm?isbn=9781591585091>]

                                                            [cid:image002.jpg at 01CBA1FB.F98A1330]
Hobbs, R. (2010). Copyright clarity: How fair use supports digital learning. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin. ISBN: 978-1-4129-8159-0

This volume differs from many copyright books in that it emphasizes that we are not always bound by the educational use guidelines, as they are not the law and can be unnecessarily restrictive. Instead, the focus is on having the user apply the principles of fair use at the time of need. The book is a joint publication with the National Council of Teachers of English. -- Jen

Publisher's Description:
"Today, educators and students have access to a vast, rich array of online materials that can be used for instruction, but these resources often remain untapped because of confusion over copyright laws.  In this slim, jargon-free guide, media literacy expert Renee Hobbs presents simple principles for applying copyright law and the doctrine of fair use to 21st-century teaching and learning… [Read more<http://www.corwin.com/books/Book234088>]
We also added two other books related to school libraries that might be useful to a broader library audience.
            Copyright for Schools<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/2010/12/copyright-for-schools-practical-guide.html> by Carol Simpson
            Guide to Reference Materials for School Library Media Centers<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/2010/12/guide-to-reference-materials-for-school.html> by Safford
How to Request Materials from OSL
If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

OSL Blog and Online Catalog
Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/> to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection, and search our catalog<http://catalog.willamette.edu/screens/opacmenu_s2.html> for our complete holdings. The Library and Information Science collection is funded with LSTA money and is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  We in Library Development at OSL welcome your suggestions for acquisitions.  See the blog for an input form or email us.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant