[Libs-Or] Eugene Public Library Youth Services Staff Honored by Mayor

BENNETT Connie J Connie.J.Bennett at ci.eugene.or.us
Wed Jan 13 14:52:44 PST 2010

Eugene Public Library Youth Services Staff Honored by Mayor

At her State of the City Address on January 5, City of Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy recognized the Library's Youth Services staff with one of three 2010 Mayor's Employee Team Recognition Awards. Honored employees are: Youth Services Manager Mary Ginnane, Debra Bogart, Jeff Defty, Traci Glass, Michele Green, Anne Miller, Hadley Brown, Jay Cooper, Barbara DeRobertis, Cara Haakanson, Vicki Morgan, Cynthia Olsen, Patricia Prisbrey, and Claire Ribaud.

The mayor noted that the 2009 Summer Reading programs for kids and teens "saw a 45% increase in participation with over 7,350 young people spending their time immersed in books and programs." She tied the YS staff's daily work with the long-term, overarching goal of increasing literacy, stating "Literacy rates are essential to a community's public safety and an individual's ability to prosper. Every time we read to young people and help them to access tools to learn this fundamental skill, we help to improve the future of our community." She congratulated the team for playing "an important role in unlocking the creativity of the next generation and assuring our community members can reach their full potential."

Connie J. Bennett
Library Services Director
Eugene Public Library
100 West 10th Avenue