[Libs-Or] Seeking Your Ideas on Future of Resource Sharing Services and Staff Training Needed to Support Those Services (and more)

Margaret Bean mbean at uoregon.edu
Wed Jun 30 11:40:48 PDT 2010

Dear Colleague:

Would you help me gaze into the crystal ball of the future to see what
kind of training and development we need to be providing to staff today
to help with the resource sharing services of the future?  I am
reviewing literature and talking with individuals to develop this
information. I am interested in hearing from all types of libraries.  My
first presentation on this information will be at the 2010 Northwest
Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Conference. I will also share
ideas back with survey respondents and I will look for additional ways
to share information.

Could you help by completing the survey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ILLTrainingNeeded ?  If it is easier I
would also be glad to call you at a convenient time for you to take the
information over the phone.

So you can get a feel for the questions I ask before going to
SurveyMonkey I have included them below.  Please don't feel like you
need to provide wide ranging answers unless you want to. I look to
aggregate the answers for a broad look at this.

Thank you.
Lars

Lars Leon
Head of Resource Sharing and Delivery Services
University of Kansas Libraries
785-864-3073
lleon at ku.edu

***survey available at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ILLTrainingNeeded
***

1.Your name
2.Your email
3.Library type (academic, public, special):

4.What will Resource Sharing services look like in 3 years?

5.What "things" will impact what Resource Sharing looks like? (e.g. open
access, googlebooks)

6.How do these "things" impact training needed?

7. What will staff need to know to support those services? (e.g. provide
specific technical skill examples, also skills such as teamwork,
communication)

8.Some predict a blending of resource sharing with other functions. Some
are already doing this. What will be or is some good "fits" for current
staff such as Acquisitions or Instruction? Are there additional types of
development/training needed to help current ILL staff prepare for that
different future that you did not comment on in #4?

9.Are you familiar with any development/training programs that are
already supporting some of these skills needed? (e.g. online
opportunity, local programs). Please briefly describe.

End of survey

--
Margaret H. Bean
Resource Sharing Librarian