[Libs-Or] New library-related titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library

Ann Reed reed_ann at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Tue Mar 30 13:21:30 PDT 2010

The following new titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

Feinstein, Sheryl.  Inside the Teenage Brain.  New York, Rowman and Littlefield Education, 2009.  ISBN 978-1-60709-120-2   649.125 Feins
High-tech scans of the brains of teenagers and adults show marked differences that explain teens' moodiness and lack of focus, which parents have always attributed to hormones. It turns out that teenage brains are changing right along with teenage bodies. Feinstein begins by examining current research on how teen brains differ from adult brains and what that means for adolescent emotions and actions. Among the findings from brain scans: teens and adults rely on different parts of the brain, and parts of the adolescent brain increase in efficiency by 100 percent. Separate chapters focus on how their developing brains affect teens' decisions and actions socially, emotionally, and in school. The chapter on physical changes includes frank discussion of gay, lesbian, and transgender sexuality. Feinstein also analyzes parenting styles and strategies, sorting out what works (strong communication, support, and trust) and what doesn't (nagging, lecturing, and arguing). The final chapter offers a book-club format for parents interested in more closely pursuing the advice and materials in a group setting. Feinstein provides practical advice, but what makes her book particularly interesting is the insight on how the adolescent brain functions. --Vanessa Bush, Booklist

Dougherty, Richard M.  Streamlining Library Services: What We Do, How Much Time It Takes, What It Costs, and How We Can Do It Better. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow, 2008.  ISBN 978-0-8108-5198-6   025.1 DoughS
Entitled Scientific Management of Library Operations in its first two editions (1966, 1982), this third edition has a lot to offer library managers and staff members alike. Why should we be interested in streamlining procedures? Aren't we more concerned with excellence in customer service? Dougherty says, "The point to keep in mind is that excellence in customer service is more than projecting a responsive attitude; it also involves doing whatever is possible to eliminate red tape and unnecessary procedures and policies." The problem-solving techniques explained and the real-life examples cited in this practical book provide the necessary tools for any library interested in doing just that. --Carolyn Mulac, Booklist

 Bowman, Vibiana, ed. Scholarly Resources for Children and Childhood Studies:  A Research Guide and Annotated Bibliography. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow, 2007.  ISBN 978-0-8108-5874-9   305.23072 Schol
Drawing together contributions from some of the leading scholars in the interdisciplinary field of children and childhood studies (CCS), this guided approach to literature searching in CCS provides background information about interdisciplinary study in general, and CCS in particular, as well as an outline of basic research practices.

For more information, check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) Discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is funded with LSTA funds administered by the Oregon State Library.

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Library Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St.