[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] ALA and Woman's Day magazine want to know why the library is important to your community]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed May 5 10:52:45 PDT 2010

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] ALA and Woman's Day magazine want to know why the
library is important to your community
Date: 	Wed, 5 May 2010 11:23:24 -0400
From: 	Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
To: 	<alacro-l at ala.org>

*ALA and Woman’s Day magazine want to know why the library is important
to your community*

CHICAGO – This spring, the American Library Association (ALA) and
Woman’s Day magazine will showcase the importance and value of
libraries. The initiative will ask readers to submit stories on why the
library is important to their community.

 From now through May 9, women ages 18 and up are invited to send in
stories in 700 words or less to womansday at ala.org
<mailto:womansday at ala.org>. Up to four stories will be profiled in the
March 2011 issue of the magazine or at womansday.com.

Librarians can download free tools to help collect local stories from
the Campaign for America’s Libraries Web site (www.ala.org/womansday
<http://www.ala.org/womansday>). Tools include a sample press release
and newsletter copy.

A downloadable Web button that can be linked to the official rules on
the Woman’s Day Web site (www.womansday.com/ala
<http://www.womansday.com/ala>) is also available.

The initiative continues a nine-year partnership between the magazine
and ALA’s Campaign for America’s Libraries that has generated extensive
editorial coverage for libraries. Since 2002, Woman’s Day has asked its
readers to write in about “how the library has changed my life,” “how
the library helped improve my health” and “how the library helped me
deal with the tough economy.”

Woman’s Day magazine is a Partner in the Campaign for America’s
Libraries (www.ala.org/@yourlibrary
<http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/advocacy/publicawareness/campaign%40yourlibrary/index.cfm>),
ALA’s public awareness campaign that promotes the value of libraries and
librarians. Thousands of libraries of all types – across the country and
around the globe - use the Campaign’s @ your library® brand. The
Campaign is made possible by ALA’s Library Champions
<http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/contactus/librarychampions/index.cfm>,
corporations and foundations.

Other Partners include Carnegie Corporation of New York, Disney Book
Group, Dollar General Literacy Foundation, the Financial Industry
Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the International Federation of Library
Associations and Institutions (IFLA), National Baseball Hall of Fame and
Museum, Univision Radio and Verizon.

Megan McFarlane

Campaign Coordinator

The Campaign for America's Libraries