[Libs-Or] Mark Edwards Research Presentation 5/28 10-noon at OSU Libraries

Jane Nichols nicholsjm at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 13:18:20 PDT 2010

Dear
all,

Ever
have a vague question that you wanted to research but weren’t sure if it was
worth following up on? Or, have you been curious to learn how to develop
researchable questions? Dr. Mark Edwards,
OSU Sociology Professor, will lead a workshop to answer these and other
questions on Friday, May 28th, 10-noon, Willamette Rooms, OSU Libraries 3rd
Floor. Dr. Edwards teaches a research design course for public policy students,
and has taught research methods and social science research writing to
undergraduates for 15 years.

Mark
describes the session like this: “I'd have in mind having all the participants
submit to me a week ahead of time a list of questions (vague, ill-defined,
etc.) that they want to try to work on, and then I'd offer a workshop for
helping one another develop those further, alerting people to the kinds of
mental moves we might make to turn our inquiries into researchable questions.”

As
we get closer to the date, I’ll send a reminder asking you to share questions
that I will pass on to him.

Although
this is a free workshop hosted by OSU Libraries, we ask you to register so we know how many
people to plan for.

Please
contact Jane Nichols at jane.nichols at oregonstate.edu if you have
questions.