[Libs-Or] Reminder: Plan to Come to Library Advocacy Day if You are Going to ALA

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Mon May 24 16:36:54 PDT 2010

Dear Colleagues:

Going to the ALA Conference in DC next month?  Please make time in your schedule to attend the Library Advocacy Day Rally on Capitol Hill, Tuesday, June 29th.

Time: Gathering after 10 am with the program beginning at 11 am
Location: Upper Senate Park on Capitol Hill
Transportation: Buses from the Convention Center or take the Metro to Union Station

Here is the website to learn more about it: <http://www.ala.org/lad>.

As part of Library Advocacy Day I will be leading a group of Oregon library leaders to meet with staff at Congressional offices that day. We already have enough folks to meet in all seven offices. However, after the rally you are welcome to visit the offices of your Congressperson and our two Oregon Senators to sign in to the guest book and drop off a “palm card” that you will get at the rally. You can find the office of your Congressperson and our Senators here: <http://bluebook.state.or.us/national/index.htm>.

ALA prefers that you register for the Rally.  If you go to the Library Advocacy Day website and click “Register Now” it will take you to a screen asking you for your ALA password and user name. Once you have entered this it takes you to the ALA conference registration page. If you have already registered you’ll want to “view/modify” your registration to register for Library Advocacy Day (click the “Add items” button under “Pending Purchases” then look for Library Advocacy Day under “ALA” events). If you haven’t registered, be sure to select this event when you register.

If all this is too complicated and you plan to be in DC on June 29th, please just show up. We should have a sign for our state, so look for it and rally with your Oregon colleagues.

ALA is hoping for at least 2,000 library supporters to rally on June 29th. To date 850 have registered. We need you to join us if you are going to be in DC on June 29th. It’s going to be fun!

Please let me know if you have questions about Library Advocacy Day.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3357563814_1745752]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.

------ End of Forwarded Message