[Libs-Or] November LTLO

Ferol Weyand ferol.weyand at state.or.us
Mon Nov 1 10:39:38 PDT 2010

Letter To Libraries Online

An Electronic Newsletter from the Oregon State Library.......Volume 20, Issue 11, November 2010

Library Board News

STATE LIBRARY AWARDS 2011 LSTA GRANTS
At their meeting on October 15th, the State Library Board awarded 14 Library Services and Technology Act grants totaling $562,052. The grant projects are slated to begin in February, 2011. The Board also approved the overall LSTA program for FFY 2011, including continued support for statewide database licensing, L-net, the Oregon School Library Information System and other statewide projects. The Board also approved proposed changes to the Oregon Administrative Rules<http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/adminrules.shtml>. The rule changes will reduce the number of state documents depository libraries in the state by one. Western Oregon University requested being dropped from the list and the Board approved this change, along with other minor changes to the rules governing the state documents depository program. The Board also amended the rules governing statewide database licensing and the L-net program. The amendments set new parameters for subsidies of these services. Currently, both L-net and the statewide database licensing program are subsidized 100% with LSTA funds. However, the new rules will give the Board flexibility in the future to have libraries share costs if LSTA funds are no longer deemed sufficient to fund these programs.

In other business, the Board conducted the biennial review of the State Librarian's performance and reviewed his financial transactions as required by state policy. At the request of the Department of Administrative Services, the Board reconsidered its prioritization of State Library programs. The next meeting of the State Library Board will be on December 10th at the Lebanon Public Library in Lebanon.

LSTA COMPETITIVE GRANTS AWARDED FOR 2011
At the October 15, 2010 State Library Board meeting the following grants were approved:
Canby Public Library, Improving Library Services to Canby's Spanish Speaking Community, $76,903.00.
Eugene Public Library, Story-Time-To-Go, $38,885.00.
Lewis & Clark College, Oregon Poetic Voices, Year 2, $29,803.00.
Multnomah County Library, D.I.Y. Intern Program - Toolkit for Success, $50,767.00.
Oregon Council of Teachers of English on behalf of Oregon Encyclopedia, Libraries as Community Research Centers , $76,430.00.
Oregon Afterschool for Kids, Afterschool Resource Library Partnership, $26,500.00.
Oregon Association of School Libraries, OASL Standards for School Libraries, $11,200.00.
Oregon State University, Development and Management of Oregon's Tribal Archives, $10,795.00.
Pacific University Library, Washington County Digital Library, $107,925.00.
Salem Public Library, Teen Library Creation Station, $13,500.00.
Tualatin Public Library, Kit & Kid-Oodles of Books, $10,675.00.
Umatilla County Special Library District, Surfing Umatilla County, $20,000.00.
University of Oregon Libraries, Oregon Folklife Collections Access Project, $37,401.00.
Western Oregon University Library, Cooperative Governors' Papers Project: A Planning Grant, $51,268.00.
State Library News

UNABRIDGED DOWNLOADABLE AUDIOBOOK SERVICE ENDING

The Unabridged<http://unabridged.lib.overdrive.com> downloadable digital audio book service offered through Talking Book and Braille Services (TBABS) will discontinue service as of December 31, 2010. Constraints at the participating regional libraries for the blind and declining usage of the service were cited as the primary reasons for this decision by the project steering committee. Unabridged uses a platform and books from OverDrive, similar to that of the Oregon Digital Library Consortium's Library2Go<http://library2go.lib.overdrive.com>. Since TBABS began offering books through the Unabridged service six years ago, many public libraries in Oregon have joined the Oregon Digital Consortium and offer access to commercial audiobooks through Library2Go. TBABS will encourage its patrons who are served by a public library that participates in Library2Go to use the Library2Go service.
Other Library News

THE LIBRARY FOUNDATION PROMOTES CARDHOLDER PRIDE
The Library Foundation, which assists and promotes the Multnomah County Library, has launched a campaign that lets library users show their cardholder pride. Since August, hundreds of library users of all ages at the Central Library and at the Midland and Belmont Branches have posed in the library for professional quality photographs with their library card. The photos are posted on a website<http://cardholderpride.smugmug.com/>. The result is a moving testament to the joy of being a patron at one of the best public libraries in the U.S. The Library Foundation plans to continue the project into 2011 and to take it to more of the Library branches.
P.S. (From the State Librarian)

There is every indication that the scarcity of resources that state and local governments have been experiencing since the onset of the Great Recession will constitute the "new normal." One thing we can do to cope with this is to ramp up our efforts at collaboration among all types of libraries. This is one of the major tenets of the Oregon Library Association's new Vision 2020.

Fortunately, we have already created a culture of collaboration among libraries in our state. Think Orbis Cascade Alliance, the Sage Library System, the Oregon Digital Library Consortium and L-net. Oregon is one of only two states where responsibility for housing the regional Federal documents collections is shared among four libraries (OSL, PSU, UO, and OSU). It is always gratifying to see so many LSTA proposals for collaborative projects. This year we received applications for collaborative projects from OSU Libraries, Multnomah County Library, Pacific University Library, and Western Oregon University Library.

So we don't have to create a culture of collaboration in Oregon. We just have to redouble our efforts to work together instead of in our own institutional silos.

The State Library is doing this with a new partnership we are forging with Oregon State University Libraries to create new library portal site on the Web. The working title of this site is the Library of Oregon. A few weeks ago we met with Acting University Librarian Faye Chadwell and Terry Reese, the Gray Family Chair for Innovative Library Services to begin to plan the project.

The idea for the Library of Oregon came from the State Library Board, who wants to see a website that would provide some basic library services to the 150,000 Oregonians who don't have a local public library, in addition to informing them about the library services they might be able to access by purchasing a library card or by annexing to an adjacent library district, where that might be possible.

The Library of Oregon will be designed to meet that need in addition to promoting library services to all Oregonians. It will have links to statewide licensed databases, L-net, the Oregon School Library Information System, the Oregon Digital Newspaper Project, and other Oregon library resources. Terry believes it will be possible to create a statewide library catalog that will enable users to search the collections of most of the major libraries and consortia in the state. The State Library is in conversation with the Oregon Digital Library Consortium about purchasing access to Library2Go for "unserved" Oregonians through the Library of Oregon.

The Library of Oregon will have a steering committee, so if you are interested, contact Terry<mailto:terry.reese at oregonstate.edu>. If all goes well the site will be unveiled at the OLA Conference next April. It will be one of the first outcomes of our shared Vision 2020, and it will be the beginning of a powerful new way to promote our services. - Jim Scheppke
Contacts at the Oregon State Library

Library Development: 503-378-2525, MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>, Mary Mayberry<mailto:mary.l.mayberry at state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Ann Reed<mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us>, Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>.

Talking Book and Braille Services: 503-378-5389, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.

Government Research Services: 503-378-5030, Robert Hulshof-Schmidt<mailto:robert.hulshof-schmidt at state.or.us>.

State Librarian: 503-378-4367, Jim Scheppke<mailto:jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us>.

LTLO Editor: 503-378-2464, Ferol Weyand <mailto:Ferol.Weyand at state.or.us> . Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. Editorial office: LTLO, Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301-3950, 503-378-2464, editor: Ferol Weyand<mailto:Ferol.Weyand at state.or.us> . Letter to Libraries Online is available free of charge and is available only in electronic form on the publications page at the Oregon State Library's homepage: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL. Opinions expressed in the articles are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the Oregon State Library. News items or articles should be sent to Ferol Weyand<mailto:Ferol.Weyand at state.or.us> , or mailed to LTLO, Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301-3950.

To unsubscribe from libs-or, either send an 'unsubscribe' message to libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>, or visit the website: http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/.<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/> All materials may be reprinted or distributed freely.

Ferol Weyand
Administration
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St NE