[Libs-Or] Links to items of possible interest on medicine and science

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Tue Oct 26 07:17:59 PDT 2010

Hi, all. I have been poking around the various science-related rooms of FriendFeed and would just like to pass along links to blog posts and other items that I found interesting and that provide snapshots into the coming word of Open Science and scientific computing. These developments will affect us someday as librarians.

Computational science: ...Error
…why scientific programming does not compute.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101013/full/467775a.html

You Aren’t Blogging Yet?!?
http://www.the-scientist.com/2010/10/1/83/1/

The Plos Ten Simple Collection (this is an interesting collection in general, but the one entitled, “Ten Simple Rules for Organizing a Virtual Conference—Anywhere” is especially useful):

http://www.ploscollections.org/article/browseIssue.action?issue=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fissue.pcol.v03.i01

In which I suggest a preprint archive for clinical trials

(I am including this one in case you have not heard of Martin Fenner, a medical doctor who writes very interesting on biomedical research library-related matters)

http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2010/10/16/in-which-i-suggest-a-preprint-archive-for-clinical-trials/

Here is another of his slideshows

Helping Researchers Create Scholarly Content

http://www.slideshare.net/mfenner/helping-researchers-create-scholarly-content

New Google "Research Tool"... in the development stage

http://www.megsnotebook.com/2010/10/automatic-generation-of-research-trails.html

Let’s Stop Publishing Research Papers

http://chronicle.com/blogs/percolator/lets-stop-publishing-research-papers/26947?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Seventy-Five Trials and Eleven Systematic Reviews a Day: How Will We Ever Keep Up?

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1000326

And I happened to come across this slideshow, “How and why scholars cite on Twitter” which says, “Presented at the American Society for Information Science & Technology Annual Meeting, 2010”

https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=0ASyDkfrsAcUjZGRmZzc4N2NfMjIwZ2N6NXRrYzg&hl=en

Research into Open Research Data (the meat comes at about slide 22).

I am including this one not because it is an useful overview of the Open Data movement but also because I want to introduce you to it author, Heather Piwowar, who is a biomedical informatician and who blogs quite interestingly on her blog Research Remix http://researchremix.wordpress.com/)

http://www.slideshare.net/hpiwowar/research-into-open-research-data

Is There Really a Systematic Problem in Medical Publishing? Or Just a Reporter With a Narrative?

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/10/20/is-there-really-a-systematic-problem-in-medical-publishing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScholarlyKitchen+(The+Scholarly+Kitchen)

I am including this one because the chemist Antony Williams is one of the leading thinkers of Open Science (and creator of ChemSpider http://www.chemspider.com/) and it just wise to keep an eye on things he does and what he thinks is important

Overview of our future book Collaborative Computational Technologies

http://www.chemconnector.com/chemunicating/overview-of-our-future-book-collaborative-computational-technologies-for-the-life-sciences.html

I saw this little thing, I think, in some of the writings of the giant of Open Access, Peter Suber:

Open Access Journals Search Engine

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010128745078609466797:ugmi2ufy5lq

Just an example of the rage for all things mobile:

http://blog.pubget.com/2010/09/pubget-mobile-one-click-pdfs-from-any.html

This is a very good slideshow overview by the science librarian John Dupuis of the merits of Open Science

Exploring Open Science

http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2010/10/open_access_week_exploring_ope.php

And these are two kind of cool tools (and show how research and citation and authorship stuff is getting all over the place):

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mendeley-related-research/

http://www.biosemantics.org/jane/index.php

15 Very Useful Mobile Apps for Conferences

http://gigaom.com/collaboration/15-very-useful-mobile-apps-for-conferences/

Publish your computer code: it is good enough

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101013/full/467753a.html

Lanyrd Social Conference directory:

http://lanyrd.com/

Useful slideshow on big data matters by Deepak Singh of Amazon Web Services

Platforms for data science

http://www.slideshare.net/mndoci/platforms-for-data-science

And this is a useful corrective:

Visualization myths around Snow's cholera map

http://petewarden.typepad.com/searchbrowser/2010/10/visualization-myths-around-snows-cholera-map.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fpetewarden+(PeteSearch)&utm_content=FriendFeed+Bot

That’s all for now, folks. Thanks for listening!

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services