[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] New Resources from Public Library Funding & Technology Access Study]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue Sep 21 09:07:09 PDT 2010

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] New Resources from Public Library Funding &
Technology Access Study
Date: 	Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:44:03 -0400
From: 	Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
To: 	<alacro-l at ala.org>

Good morning. The ALA Office for Research & Statistics is pleased to
announce new resources for using data from the /Public Library Funding &
Technology Access Study/, new ways to connect with the data and is
encouraging public libraries to help us continue telling the public
library technology story by participating in the 2010-2011 survey.

1) Data in Action
<http://www.ala.org/ala/research/initiatives/plftas/data_in_action.cfm>.
According to a survey of state library agencies, obtaining media
placements
<http://www.ala.org/ala/research/initiatives/plftas/2009_2010/media.cfm>
and creating templates and tools for communicating findings at the state
and local level are two of the best ways the study team can leverage the
study and the information provided by public and state libraries. The
new Data in Action section on the study website
<http://www.ala.org/plinternetfunding> is the beginning of an effort to
share tools and examples of how study data is being used to inform and
educate stakeholders about the value of libraries and issues related to
sustaining public library technology services.

As always, the study provides state-level summary data
<http://www.ala.org/ala/research/initiatives/plftas/2009_2010/statesummaries.cfm>
that can be used for statewide advocacy efforts, and the Center for
Library & Information Innovation <http://clii.umd.edu/> (which manages
the public library survey for the ALA) has created new one-page flyers
<http://www.plinternetsurvey.org/?q=node/24> highlighting data by state
showing how libraries support employment and e-government. If you don’t
see your state listed, it means that we didn’t receive enough survey

2) Libraries Connect Communities blog
<http://www.ors.ala.org/libconnect/>. In addition to the new Data in
Action Web pages, we’ve launched a new blog that features updates on new
tools that provide state and local libraries with data they can easily
use for advocacy and media relations; greater detail on study data
points in the news; effective practices gleaned from study focus groups,
site visits and interviews; frequently asked questions and more. We also
hope to integrate study data within wider conversations around library
technology and funding. We invite readers to comment, question,
challenge, confirm or simply share successes and obstacles.

3) 2010-11 public library survey
<http://www.ors.ala.org/libconnect/2010/09/07/2010_2011_npls/>. Thanks
to libraries of all sizes, we are able to produce an annual report
(using several data elements that stretch back to 1994) describing the
technology and funding landscape for our public libraries. We can’t do
it without you – but we can (and did!) make it easier to respond. If you
participated in the survey last year, you can now import that data if it
hasn’t changed. If you have more than branch, you can now select “same
for all branches” where that’s the case instead of inputting new data
each time… States that begin with O (Oregon and Ohio) currently have the
highest percentage of responding libraries at 14% (Oklahoma, New Mexico
and Colorado also are in double digits). Thanks!

Do you have an example of how you’ve used the study data… or something
you’d like us to share on the blog… or a request for how we can put the
data to use for your libraries? If so, send an email to Larra Clark
(lclark at ala.org <mailto:lclark at ala.org>) or Caroline Jewell
(cjewell at ala.org <mailto:cjewell at ala.org>), and we’ll see what we can do!

Thanks, as always, for helping us get the word out among your members
about the study.

Warm regards, Larra

Larra Clark

Project Manager