[Libs-Or] Libraries as Public Cultural Institutions

Elaine Hirsch elaineg at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:03:30 PDT 2010

Dear Library Colleagues,

This Friday Sept. 24 at 3:00 Dr. David Carr, Associate Professor Emeritus of
Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina-Chapel
Hill, will be speaking in Portland on "the value of public cultural
institutions as essential instruments in democratic societies".  Everyone is
welcome to attend the lecture, which is abstracted below:

Think with Me:  The Possibilities of Public Conversations in Cultural
Institutions

The formative legacy of any democratic culture or leaning community is borne
and embodied by its library.  At its best, it is a living, constructive
institution where experience and knowledge increase.  The aspirations of a
community--what it wants to become and what it hopes to give to its
children--require a generative public conscience and provocative voices.
More than record of our time and place, the library is a record of us as we
embrace or turn away from our challenges.  We require a place that holds
both pages and voices, electrons and arguments, and more:  a place where
thoughtful citizens will strive to become something together.

The lecture will be held in Gordon Smith Hall on the campus of Lewis & Clark
College and is the 11th Johannah Sherrer Memorial Lecture in Library
Service.  For further information on the Sherrer Lecture and for information
on visiting campus, please see the links below.

http://library.lclark.edu/lib/sherrer.htm

http://www.lclark.edu/visit/

A reception will follow the lecture.  We hope to see you there.

Sincerely,
Elaine

Elaine Gass Hirsch
Library Advancement Coordinator