[Libs-Or] [Etude] Summer issue of Etude is here

Michael Werner mwerner1 at uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 1 18:00:07 PDT 2011

The summer 2011 issue of

Etude: The Journal of Literary Nonfiction

is here

http://etude.uoregon.edu

In this SPECIAL issue, we highlight the pioneering literary journalist
GAY TALESE

T.R. FRANK gets an exclusive interview with Talese.

CELENE CARILLO explores Talese’s work across four decades.

LAUREN KESSLER marvels at Talese’s mastery of the genre.

Also in this issue…

AMANDA PEACHER ventures to the Yucatan to chronicle efforts to protect
nesting sea turtles.

OUR ON-THE-STREET REPORTERS (Kimberly Bowker, Devin Felix, Catherine
Ryan and Leslie Fulbright) discover what daily life is like for the
homeless.

MAURA EWING paints a portrait of a failing mill town through the life
of one young unemployed man.

LESLIE FULBRIGHT reports from inside a women’s prison where inmates
are taking an important step forward.

MICHELLE THERIAULT BOOTS finds authentic experience amid tourism.

In LISTEN UP, our audio feature, journalist and author JERE VAN DYK
tells of his harrowing abduction along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

In WIDE ANGLE, our multi-media feature, ALICIA GREENWELL’s audio slide
show goes inside Twin Ravens Press, a custom letterpress business
based in Eugene, Oregon.

Our thoughtful reviewers offer insight on seven new works of narrative
nonfiction.

  ---

Etude is published quarterly by the Literary Nonfiction program at the
University of Oregon’s School of Journalism and Communication.

As always, we encourage and invite your comments.  Use the “contact
us” link on the magazine’s website. Look for our AUTUMN issue on
November 1.

Enjoy all our back issues, archived at our site.

---
Michael James Werner
Visiting Instructor of Journalism
University of Oregon, School of Journalism and Communication

Associate Editor, Etude: The Journal of Literary Nonfiction
http://etude.uoregon.edu
1275 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1275