[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] Federal Funding for Libraries: A Message from Roberta Stevens]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Feb 25 12:53:52 PST 2011

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] Federal Funding for Libraries: A Message from
Roberta Stevens
Date: 	Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:31:55 -0500
From: 	Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
To: 	<alacro-l at ala.org>

Dear ALA Members,

I am writing to you today to enlist your participation in an
association-wide advocacy campaign to protect funding for the Library
Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Improving Literacy Through
School Libraries program.

Recently, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a Continuing
Resolution (CR), H.R. 1, funding the remainder of Fiscal Year 2011. The
House version zeroed out the Improving Literacy Through School Libraries
program.  Action now moves to the Senate, which is drafting its own
version of the CR. This is the time to reach out to your U.S. senators
by phone or email – and, importantly, to urge others in your communities
to do so as well.

The request to your senators is straightforward.  In the Continuing
Resolution for 2011:

1.       Maintain the 2010 funding level of $213.5 million for the
Library Services and Technology Act.

2.       Maintain the 2010 funding level of $19.1 million for the
Improving Literacy Through School Libraries program.

Beyond these basic requests, I urge you to share with your senators how
you are using this federal funding and how the constituents of your
state benefit educationally and economically from library services
during these challenging times. Provide examples of how you assist the
public with online job searching, preparing resumes, small business
development, accessing online information and training, etc.

Inform your senators about the role school libraries play in ensuring
students graduate with the skills they need to be successful in today’s
workforce. The Improving Literacy Through School Libraries program
increases the literacy skills and academic achievement of students by
providing them with access to up-to-date school library materials;
well-equipped, technologically advanced school library media centers;
and well-trained, professionally certified school librarians.

This is only the latest part of our ongoing need for grassroots advocacy
on federal appropriations and other library issues. The federal
government’s 2012 budget will be the next focus of Congress. Your
messages to the senators requesting 2011 support for the Library
Services and Technology Act and the Improving Literacy Through School
Libraries program will also influence their deliberations for the 2012
funding levels.

Your advocacy is vital to ensuring that our libraries remain a
fundamental force in America’s economic and educational future. As an
association – and as a profession – we must work together to have a
strong voice.

The ALA Legislative Action Center (http://capwiz.com/ala) can assist you
with contacting your senators. If you need further help, call Jeff Kratz
or Kristin Murphy with the ALA Office for Government Relations at
1-800-941-8478.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Roberta Stevens