[Libs-Or] 2011 Oregon Library Association Conference Banquets

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Mar 9 11:42:49 PST 2011

2011 Oregon Library Association Annual Conference

Public Library Division Banquet and OLA President’s Banquet

There’s still time to register for one or both of these GREAT banquets!
The Public Library Division Annual Banquet on Wednesday night is
featuring Oregon’s own, Molly Raphael, ALA President-elect! This is a
great opportunity to hear Molly Raphael’s take on what the future holds
for libraries. Thursday night is the OLA President’s annual Banquet
featuring Dave Anderson, a nationally touring comedian. If you have
already registered for the conference, you can use the meals only
registration to register for these two meals. The registration page is
at: http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=85114&orgId=ola
<http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=85114&orgId=ola>.
*
**Thursday, April 6, 2011*

*Public Library Division Banquet-Libraries: Essential for Learning,
Essential for Life*

Presented by Molly Raphael, ALA President-elect, 2010-11

Libraries have had to change rapidly, particularly over the past two
decades, in order to survive. As a result of the current economic
conditions, we are witnessing even greater threats to our futures than
we have ever experienced before. How can we position our libraries not
just to survive but to thrive as we serve our diverse communities? What
difficult choices will we have to make in the next few years to ensure
that our value remains high for those we serve, no matter the type of
library? Where and how can we find opportunities to move our libraries
to a place where they are seen as essential for the future of the
communities?

*Thursday, April 7, 2011*

*OLA President’s Banquet*

A nationally touring comedian, Dave Anderson has performed at the
country’s premier comedy clubs, including the world famous Improv in Los
Angeles. He has appeared on numerous television shows such as “Star
Search,”Showtime’s “Commedy Club Network,” and “An Evening at the
Improv.” His comedy is heard around the world on Sirius and XM satellite
radio.

Most recently Dave was a contributing writer for the “Tonight Show with
Jay Leno.” He is currently co-host of the highly rated “Mark and Dave
Show” on 1190 KEX in Portland and host of the long running morning
television talk show “AM Northwest” on KATU TV.

Dave’s unique ability to blend clean, intelligent material with audience
interaction has made him a favorite at corporate events and college
campuses across America.

The audience plays a major role in Dave’s show. He has an amazing
ability to turn ordinary conversations into hilarious comedy routines
while remaining clean and inoffensive. The Oregonian dubbed him “The
quickest wit around.” The San Francisco Examiner said he was “relaxed,
likeable, and funny…” Willamette Week said, “he adlibs better than most
comedians write.” Because of his quick wit and audience rapport, no two
shows are ever exactly alike.

--
Portland State University logo

Suzanne L. Sager