[Libs-Or] Banned Books Week - Celebrate the Freedom to Read in Oregon

Candace Morgan cd_df_morgan at msn.com
Thu Sep 8 14:17:12 PDT 2011

Hello:

  As usual Banned Books Week 2011 comes during one of the busiest times in
the year, especially for school and academic libraries -  September 25
through October 2, 2011.  Once again the ACLU of Oregon is preparing to send
"I  Read Banned Books" buttons to  libraries of all types that participate
in the Celebrate the Freedom to Read in Oregon, co-sponsored by the OASL
Intellectual Freedom Committee, OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee, Oregon
Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse and the ACLU of Oregon. I am the
coordinator of this project. If you have not participated before it is easy
to do so as long as you plan

to do something in your library (anything - even a small exhibit) either
during BBW or sometime in the year as we know that library schedules
sometimes make it impossible to do it during the official

week.  All you have to do is to send me an email (see below).  We plan to
start mailing the buttons early next week.

    If you are looking for ideas on what to do check out the Oregon
Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse
http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/intellectual.shtml#Banned_Books_Week_Planning_R
esources

where you will find ideas collected mostly from Oregon libraries of all
types who have participated in this project as well as information on
materials that have been challenged in Oregon schools and libraries.

    Also ALA is hosting a free webinar featuring ideas for BBW on Tuesday,
September 13 at 10 am PST.  You can find information here:
http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/oif/oifprograms/webinars/index.cfm.
Since I know most of you are busy working at that time I am going to attend
and will be happy to share the ideas discussed.

So - let me know if you want to be part of Celebrate the Freedom to Read in
Oregon.

Candy

Candace Morgan

Coordinator, Celebrate the Freedom to Read in Oregon (BBW);

     cooperative project of the Intellectual  Freedom Committees

     of the Oregon Library Association and the Oregon Association of School

      Libraries, Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse (Oregon State

       Library) and the ACLU of Oregon.

(503) 701-2316 (work)

(503) 245-3868 (home)

cd_df_morgan at msn.com