[Libs-Or] Oregon and Fujian Library Friendship Day

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Sep 20 14:21:45 PDT 2011

Dear Oregon Library Community:
I am happy to announce that Governor Kitzhaber has declared Monday, September 26th, to be Oregon and Fujian Library Friendship Day.

Attached to this message is the proclamation that the Governor and the Secretary of State have signed. This proclamation will be presented to Zhiming Zheng, Director of the Fujian Provincial Library, on September 26th by Rosalind Wang and Frances Lau, both members of the OLA International Relations Roundtable (IRRT) and long-time supporters of our sister library activities with Fujian.

The occasion on the 26th will be a celebration of the centennial of the Fujian Provincial Library and the opening of a new children's library in Fuzhou, the capital of Fujian Province.

I am pleased that the Governor was willing to recognize the 22 years that we have been building a strong relationship between Oregon libraries and libraries in our sister province in China. Over that period of time over 30 library staff from Oregon and Fujian have made official visits to share professional knowledge, most recently in August, when a delegation of six library directors from Fujian visited Oregon.

It is my hope that we will continue to build our ties with libraries in Fujian. I am pleased that the University of Oregon Libraries is negotiating a sister library relationship with the Xiamen University Libraries. I would love to see other individual Oregon libraries establish a sister library relationship with a comparable library in Fujian. There are several of us on the IRRT with good connections in Fujian who would be happy to try to facilitate that if you are interested.

In 2013 we will undertake the next round of the Horner Library Staff Exchange project that will bring four librarians from Fujian to Oregon and three Oregon librarians (IRRT members) to Fujian, each for a three week visit. The IRRT will be managing this project once again with funding from the Oregon State Library. I encourage you to join the IRRT to find out more about this opportunity.

I hope you will have a cup of Fujian oolong tea <http://www.oolongtea.org/e/> on Monday and think fond thoughts about our good colleagues across the Pacific.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3399373281_1307576]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.