[Libs-Or] Banned Websites Awareness Day Sept. 28th

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Sep 20 13:38:05 PDT 2011

Looking for something new to add to your Banned Books Week activities?  Banned Websites Awareness Day may be a good issue to include!

Learn more about Banned Websites Awareness Day (BWAD) on September 28, 2011 by checking out these resources:

·         American Library Association’s BWAD Press Release: http://ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pr.cfm?id=7873

·         American Association of School Librarians (AASL) BWAD website: http://ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslissues/bwad/bwad.cfm

·         Read the following AASLBlog post.

Key points copied and pasted directly from the post:

o   The reality is that “brute force” filtering of Internet content has resulted in us regressing rather than progressing.

o   I have asked a number of my fellow school leaders about policies and practices in their school and school system relating to content filtering. Most have no idea what is going on in their school regarding filtering

o   According to [Karen Cator of the U.S. Department of Education], many schools are simply over-complying with federal guidelines.

o   [Directors and administrators] Don’t wait another day! Meet with your IT staff and discuss content filtering. Work out a plan to address teacher [and library staff] issues

o   What you must know about content filtering:

        *   Accessing YouTube is not violating CIPA rules.
        *   Websites don’t have to be blocked for teachers [and library staff]. [Explanation: An adult can ask to have a website unblocked, but there is language about having to filter all machines.]
        *   Broad filters are not helpful.
        *   Schools [and libraries] will not lose E-rate funding by unblocking appropriate sites.
        *   Kids need to be taught how to be responsible digital citizens.
        *   Teachers [and library staff] should be trusted.