[Libs-Or] Library services to the homeless

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Mon Jul 16 14:24:41 PDT 2012

If you haven't seen it yet, please take a look at Stephanie Lind's article in the July 15, 2012 OLA Hotline: http://olahotline.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/july-15-2012-vol-18-no-14-ola-news/   (scroll to the bottom). Stephanie is the Outreach Services Manager at Washington County Cooperative Library Service and she details the partnerships that WCCLS has created over the years. Very interesting information.
I also just heard about a training resource from the Missouri State Library focused on patrons with mental health issues. I realize that homelessness does not equate to mental health issues but they do sometimes appear together:

"Welcome to Librarian411.org<http://www.librarian411.org>, a free web-based training for library staff, supported by the Missouri Department of Mental Health<http://www.dmh.mo.gov> and the Missouri State Library<http://www.sos.mo.gov/library/> with funding from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)<http://www.sos.mo.gov/library/development/grants.asp>.

This library training has been developed to help front-line library workers better serve patrons with mental illness and/or developmental disabilities. The training was created using input from focus groups consisting of public library staff members, mental health consumers and mental health professionals. The content of the program reflects many hours of collaboration and interaction between Department of Mental Health (DMH) librarians and the "in-the-trenches" front-line workers of many Missouri libraries.

We hope visitors to this site will realize the vital role public libraries play in the lives of persons with mental illness and/or developmental disabilities. Click on the video section to experience the training. Also, visit our links and handout sections to learn more."
MaryKay

MaryKay Dahlgreen
State Librarian
Oregon State Library