[Libs-Or] INFORMATION Fwd: [alacoun] ALA statement on Random House

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:46:06 PST 2012

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Subject: [alacoun] ALA statement on Random House
To: alacro-l at ala.org, alacoun at ala.org

*Random House increase ebook prices...*

*
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/03/ebooks/librarians-feel-sticker-shock-as-price-for-random-house-ebooks-rise-as-much-as-300-percent/
*

* *

Here's the ALA statement on Random House:****

http://www.ala.org/news/pr?id=9560 ****

*ALA calls on Random House to reconsider major ebook price increase*

CHICAGO - The American Library Association (ALA) is calling on publisher
Random House to reconsider its decision to raise the price of ebooks to the
library market starting March 1. ALA President Molly Raphael issued the
following statement:****

"While I appreciate Random House's engagement with libraries and its
commitment to perpetual access," Raphael said, "I am deeply disappointed in
the severe escalation in ebook pricing reported today. Calling on our
history together and our hope to satisfy mutual goals moving forward, the
American Library Association strongly urges Random House to reconsider its
decision. In a time of extreme financial constraint, a major price increase
effectively curtails access for many libraries, and especially our
communities that are hardest hit economically.****

"Also, ALA appreciates the data gaps that exist, and we commit to work
quickly and collaboratively to address this concern. We must have better
data to inform decisions that have such wide and deep implications.****

"Finally, we recognize and thank those publishers and aggregators that have
worked with libraries on e-book lending models at a time of significant
disruption and change. Libraries must have the ability to purchase a wide
range of digital content at a fair price so that all readers have full
access to our world's creative and cultural resources, especially those who
depend on libraries as their only source of reading material.****

"Libraries belong at the center of this digital revolution, not on the
periphery. We continue to seek partners to further our shared goals of
connecting readers and authors well into the 21st century."****

As posted on the e-content blog (same statement):****

http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/e-content/ala-calls-random-house-reconsider-major-ebook-price-increase
****

** **

** **

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou