[Libs-Or] GED changes coming up

Jane Salisbury janesa at multcolib.org
Thu May 10 14:08:13 PDT 2012

The Outreach Round Table recently held a preconference at OLA, and one
of the topics we discussed was reaching out to adult GED students,
those who are getting ready to study and take the test.  Whether or
not public libraries have formal programs to teach and support people
seeking their GEDs,  we certainly all see lots of GED students and
circulate a lot of GED study manuals.

Big changes are coming for the GED, and I just wanted to remind
librarians to keep these in mind.  The state GED administrator, Marque
Haeg, reminds us of these three important facts:

1.      The GED is transitioning to a computer-based test ONLY in
2014.  The paper and pencil test will be phased out entirely.

2.       In addition to being computer-based only, the test will be
completely revised and is expected to be more challenging than the
current test.

3.       Examinees of the current test series must complete their test
prior to the release of the new test in January of 2014 or they will
lose their scores and must start completely over on the new test. It's
really important for students to complete all their tests and attain
their GED before the big change, or they will lose all that time and
any passing marks on tests.

So, if you see lots of GED students, keep these facts in mind, whether
that means planning for new manuals for your collection, or
considering the needs of GED students when you are planning computer
classes and labs.

Jane Salisbury
Supervisor, Library Outreach Services
Multnomah County Library