[Libs-Or] buying a laptop projector...or, just a new bulb assembly?

dan cawley librarybusiness at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 09:51:18 PDT 2012

we currently own a viewsonic PJ755d laptop projector.

in 2005, it was state-of-the-art.  in 2006, they discontinued manufacture.

the projector is used for a variety of library events, is loaned to all city departments, and is checked-out to community groups (head start, ham radio club, etc.).

this projector has seen a lot of hard use.  the 250w bulb is rated at 4000 hours, which was exceeded years ago.  it's only a matter of time before we find ourselves in a position of replacing the bulb or purchasing a new projector.

light bulbs, and assembly, run $150+ even for this seven year old projector.

two questions for anyone with projector experience:

1.  is it wiser to purchase a back-up bulb and hope the machine's guts keep functioning?
2.  should we purchase a new projector?

the projector is a workhorse and has served us well over the years.  the bulb throws 2700 ANSI lumens which makes for easy viewing in lighted facilities (LED models can't touch that level of brightness).

we are open to any and all suggestions.  if a new projector is the preferred route, can any library recommend a decent make/model?

dan cawley
seaside public library
seaside, oregon