[Libs-Or] Registion deadline Friday (10/5) for ACRL OR/WA Fall Conference @ Menucha!

Hussong-Christian, Uta Uta.Hussong-Christian at oregonstate.edu
Wed Oct 3 10:36:58 PDT 2012

Hurry, hurry...get your registration submitted and join us for Libraries Out Loud:  New Narratives of Enduring Values at the beautiful Menucha Retreat  & Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon.

https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_127337&test=1

We live in interesting times. From experts, pundits, and next-door neighbors, we hear that the future of academic libraries is uncertain, that the future of higher education itself is uncertain, and that libraries in general are in crisis. Faced with this narrative, it is tempting to change who we are and what we do in order to remain relevant, and to demonstrate our value to our schools and communities.

We must realize, however, that it is precisely who we are - and who we have always been - that makes us even more relevant and valuable in the face of changing times. We are committed to creating informed, literate citizens; to advocating for free speech and access to knowledge; and to creating spaces where intellectual curiosity and individual expression are welcomed and fostered. Our tools, techniques, and buildings may have changed, but our core identity remains - and remains vital to our communities. We must not change who we are; we need only change how we communicate our value.

Barbara Fister (Coordinator of Instruction at Gustavus Adolphus College Library) and Char Booth (Instruction Services Manager and E-Learning Librarian at the Claremont Colleges) join us for opening and closing keynote sessions as well.

Together we'll have two days of conversation about the value and importance of academic libraries in these interesting times. You'll leave energized, inspired, and with some good ideas about new ways to share your library's story.

Uta Hussong-Christian
Registration Coordinator, ACRL OR/WA Fall Conference

Uta Hussong-Christian
Science Librarian/Assistant Professor
Oregon State University
121 The Valley Library