[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] Declaration for the Right to Libraries

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:29:30 PDT 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Barbara Kay Stripling <bstripli at syr.edu>
Date: Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Subject: [alacoun] Declaration for the Right to Libraries
To: "alacoun at ala.org" <alacoun at ala.org>

 Dear Council colleagues:****

** **

My presidential initiative, entitled *Libraries Change Lives*, will focus
on increasing public understanding of the value of libraries, especially in
the realms of literacy, innovation, and community engagement.   Now is the
time for us to build the public will for libraries of all types. ****

** **

As part of this effort, we have planned a campaign called *America's Right
to Libraries* and developed a *Declaration for the Right to
Libraries*(attached) to serve as a strong public statement of the
value of libraries
for individuals, communities, and our nation.  Through this initiative,
libraries of all types will have the opportunity in the next year to hold
signing ceremonies where community members, organizations, and officials
can visibly sign and stand up for their right to have vibrant school,
public, academic, and special libraries in their community.  ****

** **

Beginning with our Annual Conference in Chicago, we will be inviting ALA
members, ALA member groups, Chapter leaders and our affiliates to join us
in the effort to secure hundreds of thousands of signatures from community
members across the country.  Our plan right now is for the signed scrolls
to be presented at a national summit and ceremony to be held in the spring
of 2014.  ****

** **

We hope that you will consider inviting people in your local community and
in your state to join us in proclaiming the value of libraries. For those
interested in holding local signing ceremonies, we will be providing a
"toolkit" to help you plan your signing ceremony, garner public support and
attract media attention.****

** **

I will be talking more about the campaign when we get together in Chicago
in three weeks, but wanted to provide you with some advance information
prior to our upcoming Annual Conference.  In the meantime, please share
this message and the Declaration with colleagues and friends, and please
feel free to contact me with any ideas you may have about how we can use
the Declaration to increase public awareness of the incredible value that
libraries represent.****

** **

Sincerely,****

** **

Barbara Stripling****

ALA President Elect  ****

** **

315 443-1069****

bstripli at syr.edu****

@barbstripling****

** **

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou