[Libs-Or] iSchool's exclusively online MLIS program recognized for "advancing online education"

Nicole Purviance nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu
Mon Sep 15 10:15:16 PDT 2014

SJSU School of Information Wins Outstanding Online Program Award from OLC
for MLIS Program

Adding to its prestigious award collection from the Online Learning
Consortium (OLC), formerly known as the Sloan Consortium, the San José State
University (SJSU) School of Information received the 2014 Outstanding Online
Program award for its exclusively online Master of Library and Information
Science
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/master-library-and-information-science-mli
s>  (MLIS) degree program.

“We are thrilled that our school has been recognized for delivering a high
quality innovative online program that meets the learning needs of
information professionals around the world!” exclaimed Dr. Sandra Hirsh
<https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypages/view.php?fac=hirshs> , director
of the SJSU School of Information.

According to the OLC press release
<http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-online-learning-consortium-anno
unces-recipients-of-the-2014-olc-awards-and-effective-practice-awards-274595
321.html> , "The OLC Awards acknowledge creative and effective approaches to
advancing online education.” The criteria
<http://onlinelearningconsortium.org/olc-awards/excellence#OutstandingProgra
m>  for the Outstanding Online Program award included learning
effectiveness, cost effectiveness, student satisfaction, and faculty
satisfaction. In addition, the OLC reviewed supporting letters speaking to
the quality of the program and considered how the program had “improved
access to education by expanding opportunities and/or reducing barriers.”

On the subject of access to learning, Debbie Faires
<https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypages/view.php?fac=fairesd> , director
of online learning at the SJSU iSchool, believes the school really stands
out. “There are numerous aspects to how our school provides access to
educational opportunities—not only for matriculated students but also for
professionals and all other interested individuals,” explained Faires. “Our
school’s degree programs and opportunities such as MOOCs
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/moocs>  and the Library 2.0 conferences
<http://www.library20.com/2014>  are available regardless of geographic
location, and the time commitments involved can be varied according to each
person’s current needs.” According to Faires, graduates of the iSchool’s
MLIS program highly value both the curriculum and the flexibility of the
learning environment. “These features, along with numerous types of
academic, administrative and technical support, help ensure access for all
who would like to learn,” said Faires.

The top-caliber instructors <http://ischool.sjsu.edu/people/faculty>  at the
SJSU iSchool are another important factor in the school’s successful
educational programs. “We are extremely fortunate to have so many excellent
faculty members who teach in our online program,” stated Hirsh. She added
that “faculty satisfaction is one of the award criteria,” and asserted that
the school ensures both part-time and full-time faculty members are
“well-supported and recognized for their contributions.” Hirsh explained,
“We provide all faculty with technology support, pedagogical and
instructional design assistance, a series of online workshops called T3
(Teaching Tips and Techniques), a threaded discussion in the learning
management system, as well as have many opportunities to be involved in the
school.”

Faires expressed that the SJSU iSchool was honored to receive such a notable
award. “The Online Learning Consortium is a highly respected professional
organization dedicated to quality online learning worldwide,” explained
Faires. “We have worked hard to study and implement the criteria the OLC has
identified for effective online programs. We appreciate all those involved
with the school who have helped to make the program excellent and worthy of
recognition—students, faculty, administrators, staff members, and others
associated with SJSU who serve our students.”

As stated by Burks Oakley II, chair of the Awards Selection Committee, in
the OLC press release, "The 2014 recipients represent extraordinary examples
of the exciting innovation happening in online learning today, and we
congratulate them on their successes."

The OLC will present the Outstanding Online Program award at its annual
Online Learning Consortium International Conference
<http://onlinelearningconsortium.org/conference/2014/aln/welcome>  in
Orlando, Florida, during a luncheon on Oct. 30.

About

The San José State University (SJSU) School of Information prepares
individuals for careers as information professionals. Graduates work in
diverse areas of the information profession, such as user experience design,
digital asset management, information architecture, electronic records
management, information governance, digital preservation, and librarianship.
The SJSU School of Information offers several online educational programs
<http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/prospective-students/choose-your-program> ,
including a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, which is
fully accredited
<http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/about-slis/history-and-accreditation/accreditation>
by the American Library Association, a Master’s degree in Archives and
Records Administration, and a Post-Master’s Certificate in Library and
Information Science. All programs are delivered online, and the SJSU iSchool
is a recognized leader in online education. For more information about the
school, please visit: http://ischool.sjsu.edu

Contact:

Nicole Purviance

Director of Marketing and Communications

School of Information

San Jose State University

408-924-2465

nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu