[Libs-Or] Do you have bike locks for check out?

BCLD Library Director director at bakerlib.org
Tue Feb 24 10:36:47 PST 2015

We have 2 bike locks for day-use check out. Since we're right next to the
city park, they've have had a good number of checkouts but we need to do a
better job of advertising them with signage, especially in summer. Staff are
encouraged to offer the bike locks when they have the opportunity.

Our website has our usage policy
<http://bakerlib.org/about-us/services/check-out-a-bike-lock.html> . It was
copied from Elmwood Park Public Library
<http://www.elmwoodparklibrary.org/how-do-i/special-collections/check-out-a-
bike-lock>  in Wisconsin.

Our local bike shop gave us a discount on a Giant flex-key cable model
<http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/surelock.flex.key.15.cable
.lock.15mm.x.185cm/514/59220/> .

The cable allows it to fit a variety of bike sizes & we like that it comes
with extra keys in case one is lost (but none have been in the 5 years we've
had them).

Besides the disclaimer in our usage policy which staff review when issuing a
lock to a patron, we haven't ever required borrowers sign a liability waiver
in case their property is stolen despite use of our lock. Most of our
borrowers are children, so it's unlikely such a document would have any
legal standing in those cases anyway.

Perry Stokes | Library Director

Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814

o: 866-297-1239 | m: 541.403.0450 | f: 541-523-9088 | e:
director at bakerlib.org