[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] School Libraries Win!!!!

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Jul 8 13:25:21 PDT 2015

FYI

Suzanne Sager

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
*Date:* July 8, 2015 at 10:17:25 AM PDT
*To:* "alacro-l at lists.ala.org" <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>
*Subject:* *[alacro-l] School Libraries Win!!!!*

  *Landmark victory for school libraries and students today!*

Does your voice matter? Yes, it does!!

It’s official and, incredibly, it’s virtually UNANIMOUS.  Thanks in large
part to the enthusiastic response to our call to action yesterday
<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2015/07/amendment-to-help-save-school-libraries-moving-now/>,
and a boost from mega-author James Patterson, the US Senate today voted 98
– 0 in favor of the bi-partisan Reed-Cochran Amendment to S. 1177, the
Every Child Achieves Act of 2015
<https://www.congress.gov/114/bills/s1177/BILLS-114s1177pcs.pdf>! This
amendment will explicitly make effective school library programs part of
the Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

Prior to the vote, both Sens. Jack Reed (D-RI) and Thad Cochran (R-MS)
spoke eloquently in support of this amendment and the importance of school
libraries.  Their work has been invaluable in garnering attention for the
important role that an effective school library program plays in a
student’s education.

BUT . . . while this is an important “win”, our work is not quite finished.
Stay tuned as the bill moves forward!  Next steps for this bill will be:
continued discussion on the Senate floor, a Senate vote, and then -- once
the House has finished work on its  own H.R. 5 -- the House and Senate will
appoint a conference committee to resolve any disagreements and arrive at a
bill that both can agree on.

GO school libraries!!!